Backyard Deck Renovation

ny2nc

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hi folks!

When we installed our pool last year we put in a sizable concrete pool deck with the intention of redoing our wood deck which comes out from our back door this year.

Here is my question, we have decided on wood vs composite to save on cost. Our deck doesn't get much direct sunlight so I am not too worried about wear and tear. The deck we have now was built in 1994 and still holding strong (despite the fact we haven't stained it in 8 years). We've been busy raising little humans...don't judge me! :crazy: We are torn on what to do about the rails. The amount of rail we will have is pretty minimal because it is a mostly open design going down to the concrete pool deck. We really don't want to do wood, we wanted to dress it up a bit to make it different. Have any of you used Freedom Aluminum Rail? You can find it at Lowes. Our options are Aluminum or a plastic composite type material.

Any experience with either of these? Any lessons learned or advice?

Thanks!

Hello, not sure exactly what look you are going for with the railing , but here is what I did.

We built using PT because I couldn’t swing the cost of Trex. I was going to make my own railing with Aluminum balusters, but it wasn’t that cost effective vs buying. Trex railing systems get expensive quick.
These 6 ‘ sections from HD are about 60 bucks. Not cheap, but done in a day vs building my own. I think I would have saved about 100 bucks doing it myself. Wasn’t worth the extra time.
e01112643c9a9a47c866c9ebf4cbc7a1.jpg

White vinyl railings get DIRTY. Especially if shaded. That’s partially why we had kids - to clean them (in case there was any confusion).

I like black aluminum.

70f999f92a05f76b05ce089e95d3bdce.jpg

Not mine. I should have given credit at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.