Slam starting - Can I cheat to start?

Short version- SLAM starting . I have bought 22 gals of bleach to start off. Can I purchase a (yes I know I'm going to say it- pool store) chemical to get the chlorine up (trying to save time and energy ( chemo kicking my butt) and not have to open and take plastic thingy off chloring bottles and dump at night into pool all at once... So, my thoughts get the value up to slam level then add liquid bleach to maintain it until slam complete.

Ph- 7.8 (was off the charts until muratic acid added)
cya- 30
alk- 80
FC- 0
pool- mucky slimy mess (vacuumed 4 days straight along with brushing walls) time to just slam and then vac. dead algae.

Thanks- just read the amazing fasted slam in history by the lady with little girl. I aspire to be like her!!! :) haha

It is very important to know exactly what you are putting into your water. This is why we like liquid chlorine with nothing added that can impact your system and cause you problems going forward. Your pool, your choice but any powdered chlorine "shock" product is going to have either stabilizer CYA or calcium in significant amounts that you will need to account for and may have to address in the future.

I suggest if you want to buy something from the pool store get their liquid chlorine if is a higher % chlorine than what your have. You will add less and get to your target faster.

You do have a quality test kit correct? Did you test for calcium hardness CH. If your calcium is through the roof you may be faced with a partial drain before you slam. Also get your pH into the middle 7s before you start the slam as it will make the chlorine more effective and it is impossible to properly test pH when your FC is above 10ppm.

Be sure you have plenty of chlorine testing reagent before you begin. You do not want to be scrambling for test reagent or chlorine while underway with the SLAM.

Short version- SLAM starting . I have bought 22 gals of bleach to start off. Can I purchase a (yes I know I'm going to say it- pool store) chemical to get the chlorine up (trying to save time and energy ( chemo kicking my butt) and not have to open and take plastic thingy off chloring bottles and dump at night into pool all at once... So, my thoughts get the value up to slam level then add liquid bleach to maintain it until slam complete.

Unfortunately there is no magic potion that will help. You are doing a SLAM and don't want your CYA any higher, so we would advise against dichlor. Cal Hypo maybe, but you don't list your CH so I'd just stick with bleach. If you buy more concentrated versions, it is just less to haul and pour each time. Since you already have the bleach, just proceed with what you have.

If you want to challenge for the fastest SLAM, then no shortcuts. Test, dose and brush as often as feasible. Try to vacuum to waste any organic stuff on the bottom.

Ya if you can get all the muck off the walls and vacuumed out off the floor beforehand it will go quicker.

But don't take any shortcuts otherwise...it will only prolong the duration of the slam time.

Thanks- just read the amazing fasted slam in history by the lady with little girl. I aspire to be like her!!! :) haha

That was my SLAM. She is my granddaughter. She was very disappointed seeing her pool all green. As was mentioned before, the key to my fast SLAM was clearing the pool of all leafy material before I started. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.