Pool opened this week! Is this sand?

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

First time we have opened a pool. We did have a pool company open for us and all went well. It was opened Monday, 4/23, and was brushed and vacuumed that day. They added 3 gallons of chlorine and some pink stuff in the skimmer.

Today, since it finally stopped raining, I checked the chemicals, added a gallon of last fall’s chlorine only, which is a little more than suggested from Pool Math.

My my question is, it seems like we have sand at bottom of pool. I had noticed a little last summer, but much more today. We do have a sand filter, so assume that is it? Not sure where to go from there. I also read on here people have algae or pollen that looks like sand?

Not sure what to do?BFC7AC46-6728-4CAD-B84E-DE93C9D3F217.jpg076E2A36-3881-4E0B-98E7-1590EABA31B7.jpg

It's possible it really is just sand/dirt that blew under the cover over the winter. That is some sparkly water so I bet it's not algae.

What is a TST kit? You didn't ask, but your FC is low for your CYA, I'd keep that up as the water warms up.

Last fall's bleach may be not be very strong anymore :)

It's possible it really is just sand/dirt that blew under the cover over the winter. That is some sparkly water so I bet it's not algae.

What is a TST kit? You didn't ask, but your FC is low for your CYA, I'd keep that up as the water warms up.

Last fall's bleach may be not be very strong anymore :)

Thanks! I have new chlorine too, just wanted to use up what is left.

Thanks for asking about test kit, not sure why I listed it that way - I have TF-100 and Taylor k-1000.

Our deep end seems to have sand, cannot upload pic for some reason. We also have a lot of trees, outside fenced area.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.