Remodel Starts Next Week, What do I need to Know?

My pool remodel is set to start next week. Replacing coping, tiles, and bluequartz diamondbrite. What do I need to know/keep a look out for during and shortly after construction? Essentially once the pool builder leaves after starting the fill I will be on my own for getting the pool up and running and maintaining it. I have read all of the documents I have been able to find online and new plaster startup article on here. Is there any helpful tips everyone would recommend regarding startup other than brushing as much as possible? Also, with a newly plastered pool, when can the solar cover begin being used? Also, how long would you expect this much work to take (pool size in signature)? The builder we went with was somewhat vague and just said it would take about a week while others we got quotes from said 3 days and another said 3 weeks.

**EDIT**
Added photos in post below

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave: Without a doubt, once the work is finished and water starts going in, make sure to have your TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit in-hand already. You definitely want that right away to include the magnetic speedstir. I suspect the timeline variance boils down to contractor availability, weather, and any other factors they deem applicable. Doesn't surprise me you are seeing such a wide spread of days. Since you found the TFP Plaster Start-Up page already, keep that as a reference. But remember your contractor may offer a warranty with the new work, so confirm with them how to start-up as to not void a warranty. Also take careful note of what they add to the water on day 1. That's VERY important. Yes, lots of brushing, so your arms & shoulders will be pumped and ready for summer. :) Good luck, and thanks for using the forum.

Thanks! I have had the house for 2 years now with the previous owners pretty much ignoring the pool so with this remodel I am also replacing pretty much all consumables (i.e. o-rings, filter grids, etc.). I have been using the pucks the first two years and plan to use them in a floater until I get CYA where I want it and then go TFPC route (except while I am on vacation, back to pucks). I already have the test kit ready to go. I want to make sure my understanding with the TF-100 is correct. Everyone pretty much uses the included K-1000 test kit for every day tests then uses the full kit once a week or so unless something comes up that requires SLAM?

I want to make sure my understanding with the TF-100 is correct. Everyone pretty much uses the included K-1000 test kit for every day tests then uses the full kit once a week or so unless something comes up that requires SLAM?
In the TF-100, you'll probably find yourself using the Red R-0014 & viewer to test the pH, and the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to test the FC more than the others since those two items seem to change the quickest and have the most immediate impact on scale or algae respectively. The right side of the OTO viewer of course is used for the pH, but the CL side will only give you a ballpark visual if there is chlorine. The FAS-DPD is really the optimal way to confirm your true FC level. TA you might test weekly. Unless you had a major water exchange, you could test CH and CYA 1-2 times per month.

So I know everyone likes pictures so I took some before pictures this weekend. The main reason we are doing the work is the pulverized coping that over the last two years we have owned the house has probably quadrupled in length of damaged areas. Just over the course of this last winter is has probably doubled. The pool is gross but that is because we have a mesh safety cover, will be getting a solid this year so no gross water will get in and stain our new plaster over the winter.
IMGP1648.jpg
IMGP1652.jpg
IMGP1684.jpg
New Tile, Coping, and Plaster we will be using:
IMG_2906.jpg

Last edited:
So demo started today and I got a estimate from the owner of the company of them being done next Thursday and an estimate from the head of the crew of 4 days at most and less depending on amount of cracks/hallow spaces. I am responsible for everything once they start filling the pool but I will be leaving for the weekend next Thursday night and returning Sunday. I will have someone at my house who could brush and pour acid in the pool to drop the ph but I don't think they will be cable of backwashing the filter. do you think this is a problem and I should hire a pool service for those couples of days or will the filter not fill up that quick to require backwashing while I am away? Any help would be appreciated.

do you think this is a problem and I should hire a pool service for those couples of days or will the filter not fill up that quick to require backwashing while I am away?
Once the remodel is complete, I would just wait until returning to start a "SLAM" to get that water clean. A pool company isn't really going to give your pool the attention it needs. Hopefully you can adjust the pH before you leave, then your friend could add some bleach each day to keep the algae from getting worse. If filter high pressure is a concern, just switch it over to circulate to by-pass the filter until you get back and can start the SLAM properly.

Once the remodel is complete, I would just wait until returning to start a "SLAM" to get that water clean. A pool company isn't really going to give your pool the attention it needs. Hopefully you can adjust the pH before you leave, then your friend could add some bleach each day to keep the algae from getting worse. If filter high pressure is a concern, just switch it over to circulate to by-pass the filter until you get back and can start the SLAM properly.

My concern with the high filter pressure is more so all of the plaster dust and not really algae. My understanding is that I am not supposed to add chlorine till the third day so my plan was to fill up a floater with pucks for them to throw in on the third day in order to raise the chlorine and CYA. Am I wrong in the amount of plaster dust that will be created? I pictured having to backwash everyday or even multiple times a day for the first few days is that not the case?

I was thinking I would have them brush twice a day and add some muriatic acid each day then throw in the floater I will have preset. I was thinking the pool company would mainly be needed to backwash.

I was thinking I would have them brush twice a day and add some muriatic acid each day then throw in the floater I will have preset. I was thinking the pool company would mainly be needed to backwash.
I understand a little better now. That's fine. For the acid, it's best to ensure the person helping knows how to test pH and how much muriatic acid to add so there's no guessing. You certainly don't want the pH too low either. If the pool techs are visiting just to help with backwashes and some basic chemicals while you're away, that can help as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you think backwashing would even be necessary or is there typically not that much plaster dust that would require backwashing that quickly?
On a full re-plaster job, there will be a good amount of dust, especially after brushing. This can take a couple weeks to subside, or in some cases continue for close to a month. Having the ability to do a backwash is very important so that the filter doesn't get overwhelmed.

I don't think you will need to worry about the backwashing until you get back. There will be some dust but not enough to need to be backwashed that much or fast.

I DO like that you will have someone there to brush and add acid.

Here is a new plaster start up card I have been told is purrfect for start up. BUT the person who told me about it said it left an important part out.........wait at least 6 hours BEFORE adding water. This allows the plaster to cure a bit before water flows over it.

Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council You want the back side of the card.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.