Leaking from... somewhere Possibly liner or main drain I think.

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Hi Everyone.

Over the last couple seasons, I've got the feeling that I'm having to add more water that I should. It's been hard to gauge because we've only had the pool for 3 seasons.

last year when I opened, the water level had dropped quite a bit, but I also had a tarp failure so there was some mixing and it was hard to tell.

This week I was doing some prep cleanup before opening in a couple weeks. I noticed the water level had dropped significantly. More than last year. It's still covering the floor, but (without having measured) I figure I've lost at least two feet.

My returns are unusually low, and so when I close, I bring the water level down just below the skimmer. I use duckplugs in the returns and add pool antifreeze to my lines as a safeguard. I figure if the duck plugs failed, then the water would stop at the returns. Right? So that leaves either a liner leak, or a main drain leak in my mind. Would you agree? (I suppose it could be a leak in the return lines AND the main drain....)

So what's the best way to troubleshoot this. I've seen posts about plugging the main drain and doing a pressure test.
How does one DO a pressure test?
I've also read about hydrostatic relief valves. Normally not in vinyl pools, but maybe mine has one? Could it be letting water OUT somehow?
I don't really want to just plug the main drain, because it's a fairly deep pool and closing the main drain would result in poor circ, chem cric, temperature variations and the like.

I haven't noticed any bubbling or water BEHIND the liner. Would I definitely see that if it was a liner leak?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to best tackle this. I have about two weeks until I open.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.