Sand filter keeps clogging

Mar 30, 2017
Greenville, NC
I took the cover off my pool the other day and the water seemed to look good, no algea just sediment on the bottom. I gave it a good brushing on the bottom and sides. I got the pump up and going and all was good, an hour later the filter was clogged and pressure was up about 10psi more than usual. I backwashed/rinsed and everything was all good again. I noticed about an hour later the same thing, clogged filter, higher pressure and very little flow from my return. I have now backwashed like this about 4 or 5 times and it keeps happening. I replaced my sand about 2 years ago. I did have a bad algae bloom last year at startup but had no issues rest of the summer, could my sand need to be replaced again due to that? Is there a cleaning method to the sand I might need to do? I've never had this issue in the 10 years I've had this pool except when there is a bad algae problem and it got clogged then. Like I said the pool was clear. This is a 24' above ground pool by the way

Thanks,
Jason

I actually haven't added anything or tested the water yet. I had to replace the impeller shaft seal on my pump and got it done yesterday. I was going to let the pump run a day or 2 and then take a sample but I noticed this filter issue right off the bat

Your filter is doing it's job.....removing debris from your pool...visible or not.

You will need to SLAM the pool to get it back to crystal clear but clogging your filter is debris and probably algae so just keep doing what you are doing filter-backwash-filter-backwash throughout the SLAM process.

You will need to test and post results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.