Pentair FNS Plus with Pentair Separation tank - backwashing issues

carpenterss

Silver Supporter
I have followed my PB's written instructions for backwashing, but I strongly feel like I am doing something wrong. The instructions say to put the pump in service mode, pull the backwash handle up and run for one minute, then place the backwash handle back to the down position, run for a minute, then repeat that two more times. Once I was done, I checked the separation tank and there was maybe a cup of dirty DE trapped in the basket. I really expected more to have been pushed into that basket. Also, the pool was a little cloudy afterwards which seems like an indication things weren't correct. The only other thing I can add is that last fall I took the filter apart and completely cleaned it. There was a pretty good amount of DE gathered in the bottom which makes me think the DE is getting bumped off the grid, but not getting to the separation tank (but again, I am new at this). There is a valve to release air on top of the separation tank, should I be doing anything with that during the backwash process?

I have no clue about a separation tank, but I have learned that backwashing doesn't work as well as it should on a DE filter -- especially if you use cellulose substitute. I backwash briefly, then open the filter and blast the grids clean with a spray nozzle, then reassemble and finish the backwash. It's not all that hard, especially after the first time.

Check out the first picture in DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial. Click on it and wait for the big one to load.

I have no clue about a separation tank, but I have learned that backwashing doesn't work as well as it should on a DE filter -- especially if you use cellulose substitute. I backwash briefly, then open the filter and blast the grids clean with a spray nozzle, then reassemble and finish the backwash. It's not all that hard, especially after the first time.

Check out the first picture in DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial. Click on it and wait for the big one to load.

I understand how to break it down and clean it. I suspect the way I am backwashing is not correct since hardly any of it ends up in the separation basket and the pool ends up cloudy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.