DE Comments

Sprocket

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Central Florida
After 22 years of owning a pool with a Hayward cartridge filter, I now own a pool with a Hayward DE3620 filter. Did my first backwash, rinse this evening.

Is it just me, or is this a huge PITA?

I found the manual online, which calls for 4.5lbs of DE powder. After reading horror stories, I added about 3.5lbs. When backwashing, I let enough water out that I needed to add water to the pool for it to properly prime. Is this normal?

Missing the ease of hosing off the cartridge already. How often do you guys do this with your DE filters?

Speaking as a long time DE user, the best thing you can do to prolong the time between cleanings is keep debris from reaching the filter. My skimmer baskets are lined with disposable hair nets, I have a leaf basket that is lined with a ladies nylon knee high. That strains out all but the very finest debris. You just need to be sure you change them regularly to avoid starving the pump.

The result is I only need to clean my DE filter twice a year. Once early in the summer season and once at the end. Since it’s so infrequent, I do a full break-down cleaning each time. Yes, it’s messier than a cartridge filter and takes a bit longer, but it filters much finer and makes the water really sparkle.

When recharging the DE you only use the full amount if you do a full break down cleaning. If you backwash only, rule of thumb is 80% of the full charge.

I backwash briefly, mostly to loosen things up. Then I shut it off and open the air bleed and let it drain down, taking more DE with it. Then I pull the lid and the top manifold and blast the grids with a spray nozzle. The top is so I can move the grids a little. Then back together and backwash all the loose stuff away. Then to filter and recharge. Half an hour, tops, and a good bit of that is unrolling the hose so it is free of kinks and re-rolling it. Twice a year.

I found the de cleaning to be annoying as well. Wait until you have to take the thing apart for the annual "deep cleaning". Not sure which part was worse, cleaning it, struggling to put it back together or ending up with de in the pool because I didn't successfully put the Rubik's cube of filter panels back together right.

I did find out that the filter housings from Hayward are identical between their de and cartridge filters, so you can convert even though it's not officially convertible. I ended up just buying 3 cartridge filters and making my own manifold from standard pvc plumbing parts. Works fine and no more de mess.

One of these days I'll replumb and remove the backwash valve and try out some improvement ideas I have on the manifold, but for now it's a huge improvement over the messy de.

It can be a lot if you let all the debris reach the filter, or if you get algae. Last year was my best season and only had to change the DE once(season is from may-august here).

Skimmer socks/hair nets in the skimmer and in a canister for vacuuming makes a huge difference.

When its only a couple times a season its not bad, but I still hate it. If mine ever breaks I'm gonna cheer and buy a cartridge. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.