Pentair Mastertemp 400 Not Igniting

Secter

Sep 22, 2017
Dallas
Hey guys, long time lurker with issues, and I have had much success from here. However, I am currently having issues with my 2011 Mastertemp 400 not igniting. We were using it fine one day, then it failed to fire the next day or two later when we tried to heat the spa again. I have gone through a ton of troubleshooting, even calling out a local pool repair guy that didn't really seem up to snuff with the Mastertemps during the process. However, I am still having the same issue, and I don't want to keep paying people to come out and try to guess what is going on.

• What happens?
    • Heater powers up.
    • Blower turns on and heating light flashes yellow.
    • After about 20 seconds, it tries to ignite. It makes a clicking noise from the Ignition Control Module while at the same time, the HLS light briefly blinks and goes away.
    • Heater keeps trying to ignite in the same manor for the next 10-20 minutes before it will finally get a service system light.
      • No other control board or ICM lights come on.

• What have I done?
    • HLS and Thermistor have been replaced within the last 6 months or so.
    • I've cleaned the filter, pump, and skimmers.
      • Flow seems fine, nothing really changed here. Cleaning obviously made things better than they were.
    • I've removed the manifold to the Mastertemp to check for scaling and broken parts.
      • Discovered the thermal regulator was not opening properly and was bent stuck halfway open.
      • Replaced thermal regulator.
    • Pool repair guy said to replace the igniter, which I did. Heater then worked for about consistently with several intentional test start/stops. Ran heater for 1 hour straight then it started having the exact same issues all over again. Back to not igniting at all - same problem.
      • New igniter is getting hot.
      • I am getting 100-110 VAC to the igniter.
      • I am getting 70-75 Ohms on the igniter.

Outside of trying just keep replacing random parts, which at this point aren't the cheap ones. I am not sure what to do. I thought about trying to open the blower and make sure nothing is clogged up inside that might be preventing gas flow or something. What is irritating is I got it running for a short period and back to square one. Any help some of you with more experience than me with this would be greatly appreciated!

If you remove the covers, will it light up and run?

So many things could be happening here. Too bad you don't have dependable repair people in your area.

Think the HLS is the problem even though it has been recently replaced. After trying nearly everthing, I decided to focus on the HLS blinking once during the ignition attempt. I swapped my old HLS back in and it fired right up. Seems my newer HLS has failed some how.

Think the HLS is the problem even though it has been recently replaced. After trying nearly everthing, I decided to focus on the HLS blinking once during the ignition attempt. I swapped my old HLS back in and it fired right up. Seems my newer HLS has failed some how.

See how some things sometimes make no sense? It's not always a straight answer, swap part A.

If the igniter’s getting too hot. The manifold bypass valve and most likely needs to be replaced. One of the signs that this needs to be replaced, is banging inside of the manifold. It’s best not to try running the heater when this is happening because the water can’t flow and it causes everything to get too hot inside of their.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.