Polaris 280 won't climb

Jul 23, 2017
Hernando/MS
Hi Everyone!

I hope someone can help me! My Polaris 280 has stopped climbing the walls and when it is in the shallow end with the one wheel side and the front wheel on the two wheel side against the wall, the wheels just spin against the wall inching it's way around the shallow end.

The wheels are turning at 32 rpm. I have replaced the tires and the bearings. The thrust jet is at 11 o'clock. The backup valve is working although there is a small stream of water that comes from it even when off. I have taken the backup valve apart and it seems as if everything is working and there are no cracks. The swivels have a few drops coming from them but nothing major .There is a lot of water coming from the pressure relief valve but I think there always has been. There is no water in the head float. The polaris moves around the pool just fine except for the above problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not too familiar with pressure side cleaners, but going back to archived TFP posts it seems that checking the internal hoses of the 280 for blockage is worth trying. Also try removing the restrictor disc from the wall fitting and/or replacing the o-ring on the wall fitting because it may be a pressure issue assuming everything else in the cleaner is working properly.

I'm not too familiar with pressure side cleaners, but going back to archived TFP posts it seems that checking the internal hoses of the 280 for blockage is worth trying. Also try removing the restrictor disc from the wall fitting and/or replacing the o-ring on the wall fitting because it may be a pressure issue assuming everything else in the cleaner is working properly.

Thank you for your response. If there was a blockage, would the wheels still be turning at the recommended rate?

Your RPM's are fine. How old is the feed hose? Over time the feed hose can become stiff causing the cleaner to be less efficient. You could also try playing around with the thrust jet in different positions.

Regards,

E

The feed hose is about 3 years old and seems to be pretty flexible. I've adjusted the thrust jet to several positions and it doesn't seem to help. I've ordered
some new swivels, they should be here today. I will change them out to see if that helps and if it doesn't, I'm going to take the backup valve off and see if that might be the problem. After that I'm out of ideas!

Thanks for your response!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.