Just cut solar cover to fit!

So the results are in!

Temp when I turned on the heater around 6pm was 55.
Low tonight is supposed to be 41.

I shut off the heater right at 9pm. It had just flipped to 61 when I did that. So I got 5 degrees in around 3 hours.

I looked at the temp at 9:30 and it showed 60.

Temp when I looked this morning at around 8am - 59

So I turned on the heater (8am) and less than 1/2 hour later it was again at 61.

So I have to conclude that I lost almost no heat last night. The drop in temp from "just" 61 to 59 was most likely a circulation related drop. So as soon as the pool was cranked back up to full speed, the heat went back to 61.

I am very pleased with these results and will keep my heater on all day!

Also I think this will not be a problem to remove by myself. I put it on by myself before it was even cut. I got the 8 mil plastic so the entire cover could be carried by one person. I'd say it was maybe 30-40lbs at the most (dry).

We'll see when I take it off but my plan was to just fold it as I remove it and stuff it in a deck box and not use the reel. I'll see how that goes.

This is the one I got btw in 25' x 45'. I ordered Wed and got it Sat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9Y2DYJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that same cover sitting brand new in my garage since Dec. I have been reluctant to put it on for a couple of reasons. So here are my questions....

1. What keeps it in place when the pool is swirling around during cleaning cycles?
2. I have a suction side port with my aquanaut in the pool, will the hose that rides the surface move the cover around??

I’m curious to see how you guys deal with that stuff that have similar set-ups. :scratch:

I have that same cover sitting brand new in my garage since Dec. I have been reluctant to put it on for a couple of reasons. So here are my questions....

1. What keeps it in place when the pool is swirling around during cleaning cycles?
2. I have a suction side port with my aquanaut in the pool, will the hose that rides the surface move the cover around??

I’m curious to see how you guys deal with that stuff that have similar set-ups. :scratch:

Rob,

1. The cover rides up against the sides of the pool. Assuming it is cut properly, you shouldn't have any issues with it moving around.

2. I have a suction side port Poolvergnuegen and the hose never interferes with the cover. Even with my cover split down the middle, it will ride under without moving it around. I have not had any issues with the cleaner breaching the surface above the cover.

I have had covers on the last two pools I have owned over 10 years and wouldn't be without one. During summer months, maintaining the water temp at 84-86 degrees is a easy to do.

Mike.

You may not even need it during the summer months in Arizona, but it will definitely lengthen your swimming season.

Thanks Mike, good to know.

I would basicly cut mine into 3 sections because of the free form of the pool, for ease of install/removal. Some people that I have chatted with have cautioned me that it can cause algae if left on to long, have you ever encountered such?

I definitely would not need to during summer, but more now and in the fall as we have 30 degree swings in day/night temps here.

I guess I should get off me butt and put er on since right now it’s just taking up space in my garage. :mrgreen:

I'm new to tfpc and I'm here because I did not properly take care of my pools in the past. I had algae outbreaks, but I can't really say they were related to the solar cover. I have some water chemistry challenges ahead, so I am anxious to see how this summer will go. I do see a pool drain in my future though.

I have a robot so I only put it in when I need to. It would probably work fine under the cover since it is just a cord that floats in the pool. It was fairly windy yesterday while I was installing it and it did not move it around at all once it was cut to fit.

FYI: Up to 70 now so seems to have slowed down a bit. That's around 5 degrees in 3 hours.

Wow, that's good to hear PoolGate and thank you for the update!
Can't wait for my solar cover to get here. I just realized what I ordered is also 8 mil (16 x 32). I definitely have to split it for ease of pulling it out without the reel.

Thanks for this! We just put our solar cover on yesterday and have been raising the temp from 62 degrees. It’s currently 77. I didn’t buy the reel either. My husband and I can pretty easily pull it off and on together.

Thanks for this! We just put our solar cover on yesterday and have been raising the temp from 62 degrees. It’s currently 77. I didn’t buy the reel either. My husband and I can pretty easily pull it off and on together.

Awesome I just got up to 76! Swcg says 80 though. I heard some people like to swim at 76. Ughhhh!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Carl,

I'm no expert but I doubt the there is any significance difference between the two colors. I would imagine silver would reflect more of the solar energy compared to the blue. I doubt there is a significant difference between 8 and 10 mil. Keep it out of the sun when its not in the water and you should get three good seasons out of it. With proper pool chemistry (which I admittedly never achieved), you may get more time out of it. You'll know when its done when the bubbles begin to deteriorate and you see plastic fragments floating around in the pool. Still, well worth the money.

Quick tip...prior to cutting, lay it out on the pool in the sun for a few hours to allow the wrinkles to settle. It will also acclimate to the surroundings to prevent shrinkage after cutting.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

I am looking at cover and whats the difference between blue and silver. Whats the best preferred mil thickness fot the cost. Btw, I'm in. Florida. Thanks

I read a bunch of reviews on them, and I went with a clear one because “they” say it lets more sun through and heats the water better than colored, and the retention of heat is the same with all colors. I got a 16 mil just because I want it to be more durable. Good luck!

I just threw in my robot to see how it does under the cover. I'l'l report back the results. It is set to do the bottom and the sides.

I turned on my heater again this morning and the water is up to 81. It should level out at 85 by this afternoon and I may go for a quick dip. I was just out there and the water feels so warm to my hands! Really nice after that 40 degree water a few weeks ago! I do still need to vacuum so I will hopefully at least get to that.

Quick questions, sort of related to this thread. What is the most efficient way to heat a pool in regards to supply and return. Is it best to open all supply and returns or would it be better to pull water from the skimmers, heat it, and return it via the main drain or the opposite or some other combination.

In my case I have main drain return, main drain supply, two returns in shallow end and two skimmers.

Quick questions, sort of related to this thread. What is the most efficient way to heat a pool in regards to supply and return. Is it best to open all supply and returns or would it be better to pull water from the skimmers, heat it, and return it via the main drain or the opposite or some other combination.

In my case I have main drain return, main drain supply, two returns in shallow end and two skimmers.

I have 5 returns. 2 in the wall and 3 on the floor. All 5 are wide opened. If you can return water via your main drain (not sure how that works) then that would also be good. You want at least as much drain water as return water to maximize flow through the heater.

Returning water from the bottom does help heat the pool as the warm water rises creation convection. My 3 floor returns were installed as "deep heat returns" for this exact purpose.

okay, I just ordered an 18x36 for my pool. I really don't want a reel, just more stuff in the way. Cover will be on 4-5 days out of the week. Should I just cut my cover in 1/2's or 1/3rds, or leave it be if I have 2 people to take off? Georgia weather.

Thanks,
Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.