Newbie from SoCal

Oct 3, 2015
Sunland ca
Hello everyone,
We just ventured into a new pool build and are trying to tfp method our new build. We purchased the TF100 test kit and have been working on this for almost 3 weeks now. I feel lost and unsure of what I’m doing, but don’t want to give up. Pool is about 14,500 gal with spa. The spa overflows into the pool about 30 min a day when it filters, therefore, it aerates daily. We have 2 spillways, but don’t turn them on. Can you please review these numbers for me. I’ve been adding chlorine 10%(from Walmart) and Muratic acid from Lowe’s (31.45%) while using the app and following its recommendations. Thanks so much in advance!

FC 3.5
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 175
CYA 80

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

What all did you add such that the CYA is already a bit high?

Nothing really looks too bad though.

You do not want the pH to rise above 8, so watch that.

Biggest issue is that your FC is too low for your CYA level which could allow algae too start. Make sure you are adding enough bleach so that the FC does not drop below the minimum for your CYA by the next time you test and add bleach.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

Thank you for the response. Yes, the CYA seems to be rising weekly. All numbers were within range within 7 days of filling. Since then everything is changing which is making me nervous. This is the highest the FC has gotten, 3.5.
I’ve been adding bleach according to the app. According to the app it says to drain the pool by 50%, but we just filled it 3weeks ago and it took 30+ hours. I test the TC and Ph almost daily. Ph stays steady around 7.5-7.8, and TC about 5, bright yellow. Should I bring up the CH? If so, is that what I buy at a pool supply store? I’ll be adding more bleach today.

Bailey, you might get more help if you will fill in your signature (see my signature below). Click the "Settings" on the top right hand corner of this page then select "Edit Signature" on the left hand pane.
Also, you may want to read this --> https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3673-Rules-for-Signatures-and-Avatars-Please-Read

No disrespect but I think a refresher course is likely in order. Please review the "Pool School" at the top of this page. Also, here's the Chlorine/ CYA chart https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock Based on your CYA level of 80, your FC should not drift below 6 ppm. Now, there is no reason for the CYA to go up unless you're adding "Stabilizer" or what the pool store called "Conditioner".

Leave the CH alone for now, it will climb sky high in no time due to evaporation and refill. Not sure about the App but if I were you, I'll set it aside for now. Manually monitor and maintain the water chemistry level until you get the hang of it. Trust your test kit and if you decide to maintain your pool the TFP standard then you may want to stay away from Pool stores.

Thank you Meadow, will do. I’ve entered the information on the signature page. No, we have not added anything but chlorine and MA. Our pool builder said not to add any type of conditioner for at least 2 months, so trying to do our best doing it the TFP way. We don’t want to step into a pool store let alone hire a pool service .

Thank you Meadow, will do. I’ve entered the information on the signature page. No, we have not added anything but chlorine and MA. Our pool builder said not to add any type of conditioner for at least 2 months, so trying to do our best doing it the TFP way. We don’t want to step into a pool store let alone hire a pool service .

Are you conducting the startup yourself or PB? If it's the latter, suggest you follow his instructions to cover your warranty. We had our pool resurfaced not long ago and I referenced the NPC Startup Card.

Thank you for the signature. It shows that you have an Easytouch automation. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions about it. I'm pretty sure Jimrahbe aka (Jim R.) will not let your questions about Easytouch go unnoticed. He's very good at it :study:

Our start up guy showed us the equipment, vaguely showed us how it worked, added MA and chlorine, and said to have our pool service ready by the end of the week. My husband told him we would be maintaining the pool and he gave him a “ good luck with that “ kind of look. This was on a Monday. Come Friday we had our kit and I started reading and testing. Today I had to you-tube how to clean out the filter basket, so needless to say we’re a bit deer in headlights. Non the less I’m determined to learn and make this work.
:kim:

So the cya story still does not make sense. You have only added bleach and acid correct?

If so then the pool builder or service must have added stabilizer because otherwise it would be zero. I recommend you contact them and find out exactly what they have added and in what quantities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.