run settings for VS pump?

Apr 4, 2018
Knoxville
When do you need to run a VS pump at other than low setting? I'd think if low setting moves enough GPM to turn your pool water over in a day, you wouldn't need high setting except maybe when vacuuming or running a water feature. But a local pool eqpt sales person told me a hayward VS should be run on low overnight, then on high 2 hours in the morning, then on medium during the day. He said it was to make sure you turn the water over in a day, but this just doesn't make sense to me if the GPM math says you can turn the water over just with low speed. What am i missing?

i am thinking about switching from a noisy old single speed to a VS. 30 year old gunite pool 27000 gallons, 1 1/2 inch pipe, sand filter 60 gpm capacity, chlorine tabs.

thanks!!

rh,

Well, you are both wrong... :p

Actually, if running at low speed keeps your pool skimmed, that is all you need. The length of time it takes to keep a pool skimmed is normally more than enough to mix any chemicals..

There is no truth to the Pool Store myth that you need x turnovers in a day... Chemicals keep your pool clear and sanitized not the number of times you run the water through the filter...

You can run your pump as you like, but there is no reason that you "must" run it per the pool store salesman's recommendations...

One good thing about VS pumps is that you can't go too big nor do you need to worry about pipe size... They really should be called Variable Horsepower pumps, because you just use what you need.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I'll be impressed if your pool skims well on low speed. My pool water will stay mixed/clean/sanitized with just a few hours per day at a low setting, so that's how I have the pump programmed, but skimming is another matter. If there's any debris on the surface, it will stay there until I bump the speed to get it into the skimmer.

I run my pump at 2 different speeds.
1. 6 hours at 1700rpm for filtering
2. 4 hours at 2700rpm for skimming and vac.

Keep in mind I’m in the desert, and we have a lot of dust in the air, otherwise I would knock those times down.

rh,

...There is no truth to the Pool Store myth that you need x turnovers in a day... Chemicals keep your pool clear and sanitized not the number of times you run the water through the filter...

You can run your pump as you like, but there is no reason that you "must" run it per the pool store salesman's recommendations...
this 2014 blog The 5 Worst Pool Advice We Have Ever Heard - INYOPools.com says you DO need to turn the water over every 8 hours. Has there been any expert consensus since then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.