Manual pool vacuum

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
I have an inground pebbletec pool with pop-up cleaners in the floor. It does a good job of keeping the pool clean but I wouldn’t mind having another way to clean up the pool bottom better fro time to time. Would some kind of pool vacuum work for this? Brands recommended?

I don’t even know how these work. Do they attach somewhere to a vacuum port of some kind in the pool?

When it comes to manual vacuums, they are simple and relatively inexpensive. You have a vacuum head a hose, and that's about it. If you don't have a dedicated suction line on the inside of your pool, then you insert one end of the hose to your skimmer hole and begin vacuuming. Of course you have to be sure to remove all the air from that hose before vacuuming, but that's about it.

For automated cleaners, if you don't already have a suction (or pressure side port) in the pool, then you'll probably want to consider an electric cleaner. These cleaners are very convenient and programmable, but also come with a price tag. If you are curious about a brand, just enter it here in the search block and you'll see lots of threads about it.

When it comes to manual vacuums, they are simple and relatively inexpensive. You have a vacuum head a hose, and that's about it. If you don't have a dedicated suction line on the inside of your pool, then you insert one end of the hose to your skimmer hole and begin vacuuming. Of course you have to be sure to remove all the air from that hose before vacuuming, but that's about it.

For automated cleaners, if you don't already have a suction (or pressure side port) in the pool, then you'll probably want to consider an electric cleaner. These cleaners are very convenient and programmable, but also come with a price tag. If you are curious about a brand, just enter it here in the search block and you'll see lots of threads about it.

I realize this will be a stupid question-but how do you remove all the air from the hose before vacuuming?

And how do I know if I have a dedicated suction line in the pool?

Attach the vacuum head to the pole. Attach hose to the vacuum head and lower into the pool. Keep the other end of the hose out of the water and allow the air to escape as the vacuum side of the hose fills with water. Continue to feed the hose into the water from the bottom up. As you get to the end, you will see it fill with water. Once you submerge the free end, all air should be gone. Attach the end to the suction port.

An accessory port or suction port will generally be located on a sidewall and should have flip cover. If you don't have one, place the end of the hose in the suction port in your skimmer.

Hopefully I didn't over-complicate a relatively simple process.

Mike.

- - - Updated - - -

Some additional thoughts...If you have a suction port, you will likely have a valve near your pool equipment that will balance the suction between other suction ports. You will need to turn the valve so whatever suction port you are using is activated. Best also to turn the suction on after you attach the hose.

Mike.

Reactions: ryandkysmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.