Manual vacuum choices

Melnic

Silver Supporter
Jun 7, 2017
Maryland
I have a Polaris 280 on a booster pump. I would like to look at supplementing it with a manual vacuum. What can I get to be able to clean up the fine dust and dirt that gets into the corners or on the steps? My cleaner does not do the steps and not so hot in the shallow end. I would like to be able to spend 30 mins to manually clean that up before parties if I forget to run the Polaris Long or it’s just dirty. I also have some DE I think left in the pool to clean up from before I had a tear and the screens replaced. The Polaris does not seem to picking up or its spitting through the bag.

So I need a vacuum head for my pole ( I can use my brush pole?)
Then hose
Something that helps couple to the skimmer?

My pool has 3 skimmers and 2 main drains. I think I can switch the main drains off from these jandy valves
Intelliflo so I can crank up the water flo

849dff72fc406d327368463969591341.jpg

A "cheap" vacuum attachment from Wal-Mart or Lowes/Home Depot is just fine. You'll obviously need a hose as well. You might find it easier to use a skimmer plate but I don't like them.

I VERY rarely use these attachments since the robot does it 99% of the time. When I do, I usually just brush the debris off the stairs and away from the corners, then vacuum it up off the floor. Weekly brushing is part of regular pool maintenance anyway!

Mel,

As an engineer and an avid gadget geek, I would have thought you would have been all over Robot cleaners like white on rice... :p

I have had Robot cleaners for the past six or seven years and will never... ever... go back to water powered cleaners or manually vacuuming.

Like Mr. B above, I sweep the steps into the pool itself and turn the Robot on.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Don't think I have not thought about the robot!

If I can save as much money next year as I did this year doing my own chemicals, then Robot is in my future I think.

I had ordered a replacement Booster pump shortly before I started reading up on robots. I just have not swapped it out yet.

Last summer, I had no qualms with my teens pulling the Polaris and dumping the bag. I just know if I get a robot this year, I'll be the only one who will want to touch it.

I'm thinking my Jandy valves do not switch between main drain and skimmers. I need to look further at my plumbing over the next week and do some tests. I did notice at least one of my skimmers has 2 holes in the bottom. Thinking that goes to the main drain. Seperate adventure for me though I think.

I should add,I have a funky water rock thing on the side of the pool. Pipes come up the rocks and water comes out then drains into a pan sort of thing I guess then back into the pool. The valve for this must be right next to the rocks cause when I turn it on, it comes on instantly.

So, if I use a skimmer plate, stuff goes into the skimmer basket, basket filter, then the fine stuff will get into the DE filter?
Once again, Most of the reason I'm doing this is to get rid of what I think is residual DE on the pool bottom. Buying all this is less than having someone else out to clean it all up plus I get a set of tools to pull out if the need be. (like my Polaris breaking or something) I like to be prepared for when we have a party.

I am going to to need to manually vacuum my newly remodeled Primera Stone pool in a few weeks. What manual vacuum do you recommend since I can't use my Kreepoy Krawly Legend while it cures?

I ended up getting a 40’ house from BJs for $44 and a vacuum head off Amazon for $30

This does what I wanted . I cranked up the pump RPM and adjusted a Jandy to get more suction in the slimmer pipe I used. Again, I’m just trying to get the fine DE left over from the leak I had in the screens. I spent a little time this evening cleaning the DE off the steps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.