First Swim In New Pebble!

This is a very interesting conversation because it's the exact issue I'm currently up against. We just finished having our pool refinished from plaster to micro pebble radiant fusion finish and I'm finding patchy sections of the pool to be extremely rough. To the point where my children have gotten out of the pool with strawberries all over the tops of their feet and small cuts on the bottoms of their toes.

I'm convinced that there is a problem because it feels nowhere close to as smooth as the samples I felt and because it's so intermittent across the pool.

The question I have is what is the resolution? Drain the pool and acid wash again? Did they acid wash too much in these specific sections and that caused the roughness. Just trying to figure out what's going to be entailed in getting this fixed.

The contractor will be out Tuesday to examine so hopefully I'll have a better idea then.

Thanks

Please report his take back here. I'm very interested. Personally, I'll never acid wash a pool again. My new pebble was acid washed as part of the installation, and I'm hoping that my crew did it correctly, but that's the last time. Acid washing takes off plaster. No two ways about it, so, IMO, it can only reduce the life of the finish, even if it does get you the "immediate gratification" you're after. Plus, if I understand pebble correctly, it's the plaster that holds the pebble in, and the initial acid wash is used to reduce the plaster around the pebble just enough to expose the pebble to the perfect depth. In my mind, that means subsequent acid washing (plaster removal), will compromise the level of the pebble relative to the level of the plaster. That's corroborated in part my someone here who posted about some pebble falling out after an acid wash. No thanks.

If I was to do anything about roughness, it would be in the form of mechanical abrasion (sanding, polishing, etc) and not chemical abrasion...

And keep in mind, as I write about elsewhere, acid washing seems to be the go-to fix for anything pool by a lot of pool contractors, whether it's the appropriate solution or not, whether the contractor actually knows how to do a proper acid wash or not. (Full disclosure: an acid wash is what destroyed my five-year-old plaster, necessitating the new pebble surface, so I'm basically anti-acid-wash no matter what the actual facts are!!)

First swim for my kids yesterday in our pool with a mini pebble surface. Neither complained about the surface and trust me they will both let me know if they find something uncomfortable! No scratched feet or grazing.

Yep, so far, in my pool, I'm the only one complaining about it. My three littles didn't say anything, or probably even notice. I asked them about it and they had nothing bad to say about the pebble...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.