Cutting new holes in the Drain plugs

Hello!

So I got a new set of strainers and plunger valves out of Amazon, I'm planning to drain my pool, and cut a hole to replace the drain plug with a Plunger valve/strainer.
5a582d5e-fc5d-48fb-9d38-ac91ee2f323a.jpg

Anyone doing this? My main idea is to get water from the bottom of the pool for better circulation.

I have not heard of anyone doing this. Can you share a picture of what you bought and give us an idea of how you plan on doing this?

Why do you think you need better circulation? I say throw a kid or two in and let them mix the water up good LOL

Kim:kim:

The only issue is that the drain plug is welded into the wall of the pool, and is therefore a structural part of the pool. I think I'd try to adapt the new parts to the existing drain rather than cutting the drain out and trying to get a new one to seal to the pool.

If you do decide to replace it please let us know how it goes.

Hi There!

Sorry for the Delay on my response,

The parts arrived late due to a delay on the customs clearance process.

So I took my exacto knife and remove the plugs in just the right size for the fittings. I made sure to leave there the plastic reinforcements and the double vinyl layer.

X8GYPkRDQgCcgwf61CJ3HA.jpg

Then I just screwed in the 2 "Inlets I ordered into the previously created holes.

7LZtUON7S9G4yV%mOOGSCg.jpg

I wanted my Hayward heat pump to get water from the bottom of the pool, that's the reason why I did this little tweak.

So far the pool is 1/2 filled with no leaks.

Will update once the PVC pumbling has been completed and the pump is up and running.

For my heat pump to take water from the bottom of the pool! That's the main reason why I wanted to do this! Please find below my latest update regarding this project.

I have not heard of anyone doing this. Can you share a picture of what you bought and give us an idea of how you plan on doing this?

Why do you think you need better circulation? I say throw a kid or two in and let them mix the water up good LOL

Kim:kim:

Hi cfherrman,

I though of the main drain as an option, however the pool is sitting on a concrete surface and the installation will require more time and resources.

My main idea was to get the cold water that is always sitting on the bottom of my pool! so far I have no leaks and this seems to be working flawlessly, I now have 4 "Outlets" ports and 1 "Inlet". I'm happy to see that the performance of the heat pump will increase since it'll always take the colder water that sits on the bottom.

Should work the same as a main drain, handy yes, but not necessarily.

It's been working flawlessly... No Leaks after almost 1 week.

I'll definitely recommend doing this if you want to get the water sitting on the bottom of your pool... Specially when heating the water.

this sounds interesting, i will have to keep my eye on this thread

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Trick!

The strainers were tighten as much as we could and so far we have not seen any leaks!

Yeah, We are blessed to live in such a small country with thousands of natural specimens and places to go :)

Hey man good job on this, it looks great! Cross fingers it doesn't leak.

BTW Costa Rica is great, did pacific side last year and for sure coming back. Such a diverse country one visit isn't enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.