Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
Here are my numbers:

CYA 45
FC 0
PH - see below
TA 60

The pressure gauge on my filter is high and staying in the 25-30 range, even during and after backwashes. Could this be due to the heavy algae? My pool is thick green, can barely see the top step. I also just opened the pool to start filtering. All valves are open and plugs removed from supply jets.

PH is high, so I think I need to take care of this before slamming, right? I've never needed to adjust the PH so advice would be helpful. It took 5 drops of R-0005 to adjust the sample to 7.2 where I think it should be.

First off, does your gauge go down to zero when the pump is off? We need to confirm that it is a working gauge.

When you backwash, do you rinse for about 5 seconds afterwards? Do that. What is your "clean" filter pressure?

Have you checked the pool for solid debris that you can remove manually? How about vacuuming to waste? Monitor your water level if you do that so that you don't drop below your skimmer level and run your pump dry.

Wanna show us a pic?

Maddie :flower:

No it doesn't go to 0 when off and I have a feeling it is broken. Maybe this confirms I need a new one?

I've gotten as much of the leaves off the bottom as I can without being able to see and I sweep around with the net often. Haven't vacuumed to waste yet.

On my phone so no pics but will post later.

Ordered!

Thanks for all the help today Maddie!

Added acid and waiting for it to circulate, will test again and if PH looks good I plan to start the slam process.

I'll probably only have a few hours of daylight, is it OK to not check the FC levels and maintain shock level overnight?

Yes, but all the better if you can. I'd aim for now, and after dinner, then right before bedtime if possible. The more often you can test and re-dose the faster this SLAM will go. But do what you can.

Maddie :flower:

Well it took a lot of time, but the pool is looking great! I ran the OCLT last night and this morning the FC had dropped by 1.0 and CC is 0.5.

I also installed the new gauge and it works great, thanks again for the advice one that one.

Now that I'm a supporting member I can post a couple of pics. I'll add one to the original post of the green mess I started off with. It's raining today so I'll take a good pic o the finished product next time I can when the sun is out.

What do I do next? My pool is salt water, but the temp is still too cold to run the SWG. My CYA level is around 45, do maintain the FC as if it were non-salt until the SWG kicks in? And then raise the CYA and FC levels?

Remember there is no 45ppm CYA, always round up, so you are at CYA 50 so keep your FC in the zone with bleach until your SWG is on line.
Also be sure to let the pool test water temperature rise to room temp before testing CYA as cold water will alter the results.
Be certain of your CYA level then if you need to raise it do so slowly and in stages so you do not overshoot, it takes a bit to fully dissolve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.