Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will you please look at these pics of my filter grids and advise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will you please look at these pics of my filter grids and advise?

Hi guys. I have a Pentair FNSP 48 filter and ended up ordering a new set of grids after I popped the lid today to clean my current set. Noticed not only weird stains but one grid had a hole which was causing DE to flow into my pool.

Q1: Does the top look normal after removing the lid what with all the buildup?

Q2: What are those stains?

Q3: Is that pressure screen thingy in good shape (it was compressed inward so I popped it out with my finger)?

Q4: Are Unicel FS-2004 filter grids a suitable replacement?

Thanks,
    Daniel

IG, Plaster, 17,500 gal, Free-form (angular)
    Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter (48 sqft)
    Hayward SP3010X15AZ pump with 1.5 HP motor (installed 3/2015)
    Rock waterfall, large live oak shades half the pool
    Re-plastered April, 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will you please look at these pics of my filter grids and advise?

DC,

Your grids look pretty normal to me... Not sure about the stain, but unless your grids are leaking DE, I would not worry about it..

Not sure how you got the nut off the top, but normally you pull all the grids out as one assembly... and then disassemble it, so you can get a wrench on both ends...It would be impossible for me to reassemble the unit without out taking it out... I find it hard enough doing it upside down and I have done it dozens of times...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4 (now 8), IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.