Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with covers

Ok so we got the 14x14 square intex pool last year. Over the winter we had the cover on it. We are in Texas so the weather is all over the place. The cover bows really bad and with rain it had a huge puddle that turned into gross green algea water. We pulled it off in Feb to clean it and all the junk went in the pool. put it back on then last weekend pulled it off again emptied the pool scrubbed and cleaned it but the cover seems shot it smells to high heaven have scrubbed it but not helping much. What else can we use as a cover as you can not find square covers anywhere .

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help with covers

None, add bleach weekly to bi-weekly and brush to stir it around. You will have more ch every year due to a foot or two more evaporation with no cover.

Kansas = windy, so no covor option for me
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

3. Back To Top    #3

so you just don't use a cover. We get a ton of tree pollen that really messes things up.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Enough where you can get it out or too much for that?
    Casey
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

5. Back To Top    #5

I’m afraid I’m no help with your current question, but we are considering purchasing the same pool and I would love to ask you some questions if you were willing. Let me know if so. Thanks!
    Putting up pool summer 2018! Intex 16' x 16' x 48" prism frame (6,894 gallons) with upgraded sand filter and saltwater system (Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump & 15000 Gal Saltwater Chlorinator)

6. Back To Top    #6

too much to just get it out it comes in piles in the spring. There are tons of trees on the side of us. I love trees but man not these kind. They are actually on the other side of the fence but hang over in our yard

7. Back To Top    #7

You could use a tarp. They are probably $25.... Keep that on your pool until the pollen is done. Use a small submersible pump to get the water off the cover so it doesnt go into the pool when you take the cover off. You could also create a siphon with a hose to drain the water off the cover.....
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by supermom#4 View Post
    too much to just get it out it comes in piles in the spring. There are tons of trees on the side of us. I love trees but man not these kind. They are actually on the other side of the fence but hang over in our yard
    With no cover you still mantain the pool bi weekly, so if you used the net bi weekly it would be too much work?

I would go with a good tarp then
    Casey

9. Back To Top    #9

Some options to think about ahead of your next closing...This $11 thing will remove the water from your cover. http://a.co/62RHA1j We also used this brands $30 cover and it did great. I suppose you can buy a larger round and just make it fit your square pool? http://a.co/a4MDy2M If there's a lot of wind keep a bit of water on the cover to weigh it down. It was a great setup for us. We drained the pool to below the skimmer and let the cover rest on the water. No bowed sides.
    15'x30'x52” 12K gallon Wilbar Discovery/Innovation Resin AGP buried 2’ w/ wood deck. Hard plumbed Pentair 1.5HP 2SP Dynamo pump, Pentair SD40 sand filter, Pentair iCHLOR 30 SWG
    500 gallon spa w/ ozonator using Dichlor/chlorine. TF-100, Taylor K-1766, & Speedstir. Dolphin S100 "Flóki". My 2017 Build Thread
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool Supporter! // AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

That's the same cover I used for one day, wind about ruined my pool from it flapping around. Water will weigh it down but you still have it flapping edges
    Casey

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
    That's the same cover I used for one day, wind about ruined my pool from it flapping around. Water will weigh it down but you still have it flapping edges
    Hum...we didn't have an issue even with that last storm. I noticed the PB did some type of folding all around the edge. Not sure if that made the difference or not. Glad you got yours off before anything [besides the cover?] was ruined!
    15'x30'x52” 12K gallon Wilbar Discovery/Innovation Resin AGP buried 2’ w/ wood deck. Hard plumbed Pentair 1.5HP 2SP Dynamo pump, Pentair SD40 sand filter, Pentair iCHLOR 30 SWG
    500 gallon spa w/ ozonator using Dichlor/chlorine. TF-100, Taylor K-1766, & Speedstir. Dolphin S100 "Flóki". My 2017 Build Thread
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool Supporter! // AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives.