Wiring IC15 and VS pump with Intermatic timer

I need help figuring out how wire my SWG and VS pump. When I originally switched over to salt several years ago, I still had a single speed pump, and everything was wired together so that the timer controlled power for both the pump and the SWCG. When I upgraded to the VS pump, I took the tabs off of the timer, effectively bypassing it, using the pump as the timer, leaving continuous power to the SWCG (relying on the flow switch to stop production).

I now know (thanks to you guys) that I need to have a second method of scheduling the salt cell so it won't explode. How do I wire everything so that the pump bypasses the timer and gets power all the time?

IMG_3319.jpg

Steven,

Are you sure it is not already wired so that the pump gets constant power?? To be honest, I can't tell what is what because the colors of the wires and what pins they are going to does not seem to make sense.. I'm sure it is just me..

But it appears that you are operating everything on 120 volts and that only the last connection on the right will actually switch anything on/off.

What you want is for the AC power coming into the box to be directly tied to the power line going to the pump. And, for the AC power coming into the box to pass through the timer and then to the Cell's power supply box.

If this were my timer, I would turn the manual switch to off and see if the pump still runs and that the SWCG is off. If so, all you have to do is put the dogs back on and set it.

If not, then pulls the wires out more and take a couple more pics.. Tell us where the fat black wire goes..

We preach a lot here about making sure your SWCG is at least 2 x the volume of your pool... So I would be curious as to how well your salt system is working.. How long do you normally run your pump and at what percentage of output in the middle of the summer? Do you also have to manually add chlorine, or do you add weekly doses of pool store "shock"??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. But I'm positive. When the timer switches off, power to the pump and SWCG are interrupted the way it's currently set up. Adding a few pics below.

When I added the SWCG 6 or so years ago, I really didn't know anything about capacity and just relied on the pool store "professionals" for the equipment selection. It's definitely undersized, and when it's finally shot, I'll replace it with something bigger. It actually does keep up in the heat, but I have the pump running 24/7; only higher speed for several hours, then very low speed for the rest of the day, just enough to keep things moving, but not enough flow for the SWCG to make. But for now, it's still got 40%ish life remaining (3/5 lights show when tested). Hasn't been consistent for the last year due to a failing flow switch (which I replaced yesterday and seemed to solve the problem).

Anyway, if I can get everything up and running and powered the right way, I'll be in the market for some good suggestions on pump speed/run time and SWCG run time in the near future.
IMG_3333.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 28
I was trying to load one more photo of a picture of all of the equipment but getting a message about "exceeding your quota."

Basically, line into the manual switch runs through the conduit on the right. Then I assume line out of the switch runs through the conduit between the switch and the timer. The conduit on the bottom left from the switch goes to the VS pump, so I assume load wiring runs back from the timer, through the conduit between the timer and switch, and out to the pump through that bottom left conduit.

I was trying to disconnect the conduit between the timer and switch and get a pic of how everything is run, but it's going to be a major PITA to get it out without removing the timer box or switch from the wall with how tight everything is. Let me know if you need pics from any other angles...I know it's a mess.

Steven,

Ok, I think all you need to do is swap the Fat black wire on connection #3 and the white wire on connection #4..

But just to make sure, please follow the following steps..

1. Remove just the Fat black wire on #3 (Temporarily cap it off so it does not touch anything) - Confirm that the SWCG is off but that the pump still runs..

2. Move the white wire on #4 to #3 and confirm that the pump never shuts off when using the timer switch..

3. Move the Fat black wire to #4 and confirm the SWCG turns on/off with the timer switch.

4. Assuming steps 1 thru 3 worked, you should just need to add the dogs and set the mechanical timer to when you want the cell on...

Thanks for the feedback on your SWCG's operation..

Jim R

Thank you so much for the help! Everything works now...timer only interrupts power to the SWCG, and pump runs constantly.

The next thing to figure out will be optimal pump run time, speed, and SWCG setting, but I'll create a new thread for that shortly.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.