Check Valve Replacement/PVC Piping Advice

jk03

Mar 19, 2018
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've been lurking around the forum trying to find an answer before posting but I cant seem to find an answer.

Long story short, I need a new check valve as the elevated spa keeps draining into the pool when the pump is off. I've identified where the check valve is but am having trouble planning out exactly how I should remove and replace it. If you look at the attached photos, I believe the check valve is under the ball valve in the middle of the picture, somewhat underground. For some reason, it looks like it was installed on the bottom with threading and slipped/glued on the top. If you look closely under the blue valve, if I cut out the check valve, there isn't enough PVC left over to install a new check valve. I'm thinking I need to cut above the ball valve, and install a new ball valve and check valve.

Any advice or suggestions on if I'm correct of if there's a better work around? If I'm completely wrong, please feel free to let me know - just here to gain some knowledge from you all. The system seems to be about 15-17 years old if that helps.
Appreciate the help ahead of time.

IMG_4851.jpg
IMG_4857.jpg

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

In that second picture, it looks like there is a union buried in the dirt. You should be able to unscrew that notched ring in the dirt. Dig out around the pipe to give you room to work and prevent dirt from getting into the pipe. Then unscrew the union body from the piping above it. If that is the case, you may be able to get lucky and just replace the check valve itself and not have to cut into the pipework. See if there is any manufacturer information stamped into the side of the check valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.