ScreenLogic Showing 0 Salt but IC60 and Testing Show Good Levels

Goob

Gold Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
Magnolia, TX
As the title says, the ScreenLogic computer readout for my IC60 SWG is showing 0 on the salt level while the IC60 is showing a steady green light for both good salt levels and a good cell. When tested, I am showing 3200 ppm as actual. Water temp is 71deg. New pool build last fall which has had good readings until the last few days.

Today, I unplugged and took the IC60 off and looked at the plates and sensor. I didn't see any scaling on either but did a cleaning anyways.

I haven't been able to tell if the unit is producing chlorine as there hasn't been much chlorine loss even with the sunny, warmer days of late as I bumped up my CYA level to 80 last week. This has obviously caused me to readjust my expected chlorine depletion per day.

Any ideas or anyone have this experience before?

Thanks for the help.

Goob,

If ScreenLogic reads the salt level as zero.. then the cell is not communicating with the EasyTouch... As JamesW has pointed out, the most logical reason is because the SWCG is not enabled on page 3 of 5 ScreenLogic setup screen...

As shown here...

dbtgallery.php

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Maybe deselect it then reenable it.

Done. No joy.

Any changes to the wiring recently? I'd double check to make sure the wiring is plugged in to the COM port properly.

No changes except for after the fact when I unplugged to clean the SWG to hopefully fix the issue.

Goob,

Make sure you are in either the Pool Mode or Spa mode... and not in the Service mode...

Jim R.

Not in service mode. It shows Auto on the panel if that is what is meant with Pool or Spa Mode.

From testing this morning, the FC level went up .5 overnight where the pump was running about 3 hours and the chlorinator is set for 50% Pool Output (I can still talk to the SWG by setting new percentages and it will show that percentage on the SWG when I go look at it). So I am guessing that the SWG is producing chlorine.

Again, I know I changed the CH levels up from 300 to 400, the CYA from 50 to 80 to get ready for SWG output instead of bleach only, and the salt level from 2900 to 3200. I also upped the amount of hours the pump runs so as to skim the pollen from the surface. Other than those changes, I can't think of any others so I am frustrated.

This is a grab of my ScreenLogic view if it helps-

Untitled.jpg

I'll be calling Pentair today to see what they know.

Craig

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the chlorinator powered while the pump is off?

No. And this may be what you are getting at-

I talked to Pentair today and was surprised, although I shouldn't have been, that they could turn on my ScreenLogic items and troubleshoot.

In layman's, uneducated wording-

The are showing that the IntelliChlor doesn't have its power center within the automation as the IC60 isn't showing a constant power source and seems to turn off and on repeatedly as the pump is turning on. What they had was teh IC60 going through a relay but without the power center. I looked behind the box and found that the power center is there, but I now assume the load center is bad and just isn't holding power.

I have a trouble call in. Not worried about it too much as chlorine is getting produced. I'm just not getting a good reading on the ScreenLogic page.

Goob,

It will be interesting as to what they find... the IC60 should only turn on when the pump is running and should turn off when the pump is off. This is exactly how Pentair tells you to wire it..

Does your EasyTouch have an internal SWCG power supply, or does your IC60 have an external Power supply box???

Pics would be great..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pics....

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

EasyTouch with internal supply. The SWG power only comes on with the pump, but from what I understood, the Pentair rep was saying that their software was showing that the power supply was missing as the IC60 was showing repeated off and on (whether quick changes or with the pump, I didn't ask).

I have to wait until Monday to have a guy stop out here for this. Oh well, I know there is salt and it seems to be producing chlorine.

Goob,

Thanks for the pics...

If you look at the note on the side of the big transformer, you will see where it says the transformer must be wired through the Pump/Filter relay..

In "theory" the pump/filter relay should be the upper left relay... But, it appears that whoever wired your system used the relay in the aux 2 position as the pump/filter relay... You can do that, it just makes keeping track of what relay does what a little harder...

You can see that the Yellow and White wires coming from the big transformer go to the third relay from the left on the top row.. Your SWCG will only get power when that relay is energized. I suspect that relay is plugged into the Pump/Filter connector on the main board.

Long story short, it looks like your SWCG transformer is wired correctly, so the question is why is the relay going on and off all the time???

Please let us know what they find..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Late response as this was forgotten.

I found out with a service call that there are 2 sensors in the IC60- one that determines internally whether the salt level (and maybe other levels, ie temperature) are sufficient to produce chlorine and another which sends information to the Intellitouch with the salt levels. The sensor that sends information to the Intellitouch went bad and thus, wasn't showing any salt in the water even though the IC60 knew there was via the other sensor and was still producing chlorine.

The guy came out to fix my bad sensor and it didn't work so he is going to replace the IC60 instead.

Not bad. Good service, learned something new, and I get a new IC60 even though the other one was only 6 months old.

There is a conductivity sensor, a temperature sensor and a flow sensor in the cell. The sensors send the data to the onboard computer to determine flow, temperature and calculate salinity based on temperature and conductivity.

The onboard computer can send the data to the easytouch but there is no separate sensor that sends data to easytouch.

The explanation you were given is not accurate. The fix did not work because it wasn't based on correct information.

The only sensor that is replaceable is the flow/temperature sensor. That communicates with the cell computer. What you were told doesn't make sense.

The wiring does not look right to me. i see multiple things connected to the line side and the only thing connected to line should be the circuit breaker. All pool features should be attached to the load side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.