New Pump vs New Motor (and burnt appearing SWG front plate)

Apr 21, 2017
Memphis, TN
Not mechanically inclined at all here. Went to turn on pump to lower water level and heard a pop followed by seeing a spark. Had an electrician friend look at it and its the motor as wires all look good and begins smoking the minute turn on. He took off the endplate and confirmed. It was a really cold winter so pump saw more on time than has in the past 3 years combined (bad year not to close). I know the pump is at least 5.5 years old as that is when I bought the house but have no idea of exact age (its a Pentair 1.5 HP Model SF-N1-1-1/2A/340039, Motor# 177475). The SW generator was put in in 2010 so may have been at that time. I read the sticky though a lot of it is above my head but didn't really get an idea of how long a pump should last. Just trying to get an idea before talking to pool company.

Also an SWG question to see if related (going to post and look in that forum next) - would there be any relation to a problematic pump and color change to the front plate of a SWG? I didn't think they should really be related but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a bigger problem that was affecting both. SWG reading wrong last year (2400 and above when minimal salinity) so just ended up turning off and treating pool as chlorine since didn't have time to mess with it. Now noticing that the front appears brownish when opened the box (have not taken the front plate off yet to see if board affected, have previously had friend replace ohms resistor twice based on recommendations from this group which saved me a lot of money!!). Pic below.

Thanks

25k fiberglass, rectangle, Heyward Swimpure SWG, Pentair 1.5 pump, Sand filter, FAS-DPD

Attachments

• SWG.jpg
    SWG.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 40
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.