Pentair Ichlor30 opinions

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
I have an 18,000 gallon inground pool with a 1 1/2 horse pump and a DE filter. Its a Gunite/plaster finish.
I contacted a pool company who suggested a Pentair Ichlor30. I have zero experience with this and online found very few reviews of this system.
Does anybody have this or any experience with it?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Rocks,

We always recommend a salt system that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. This is because cells are rated when running at 100% output. Also, the smaller the cell the longer you have to run your pump to generate the amount of chlorine you need.

The ichlor30 is relatively new and I have only see one or two members that have it...

Here is a good site to compare salt systems... Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I have 18k pool and glad I got the ic40. During the summer it needs to run about 8-9h/ day to keep up. I usually run the pump only about 10-12h/day (3hp variable speed running at about 2hp). Always oversize!

The IC-30, also called the iChlor by Pentair, is just a smaller cell that can work as a standalone unit. The real question is why are you looking at Pentair? Do you have an EasyTouch automation system or an IntelliFlo variable speed pump? If you don't have Pentair equipment, then getting their SWG is probably the worst option because they are very expensive to replace and they are designed to really integrate with Pentair equipment. They are not very good as stand-alone units. If you are doing a stand-alone installation or a self-installation, then you'd be much better off getting a CircuPool SWG as they have higher output generators and they offer great warranties on their units even if you do the installation all yourself. Pentair, for example, will only give you a 60-day warranty on a self-install (1 year if you pay a professional to do the installation).

The IC-30, also called the iChlor by Pentair, is just a smaller cell that can work as a standalone unit. The real question is why are you looking at Pentair? Do you have an EasyTouch automation system or an IntelliFlo variable speed pump? If you don't have Pentair equipment, then getting their SWG is probably the worst option because they are very expensive to replace and they are designed to really integrate with Pentair equipment. They are not very good as stand-alone units. If you are doing a stand-alone installation or a self-installation, then you'd be much better off getting a CircuPool SWG as they have higher output generators and they offer great warranties on their units even if you do the installation all yourself. Pentair, for example, will only give you a 60-day warranty on a self-install (1 year if you pay a professional to do the installation).

100% agree just got my circupool rj-60 up and running yesterday . circupool has a 1 $ upgrade deal you choose the lower model and at check out they offer a upgrade for a dollar . install was a breeze with planning ... good luck keep us posted ok.

Thanks for the reply. No I do not have any automation equipment. As a fact my "system" is about as manual as you can get.
I appreciate the recommendation, however when I go to Amazon there are remarks left by consumers that have me wondering such as: "NO INSTRUCTIONS, CANT CHANGE FROM CELCIUS TO FARENHEIT NO IDEA WHAT THE CODES AND NUMBERS ARE, IT SAYS ITS CONVERTING BUT I CANT TELL SO I HAVE TO GO TO MY POOL DEALER AND HAVE MY SALT CHECKED EVERYWEEK, SPEND THE EXTRA AND GET THE HAYWARD".
https://www.amazon.com/CircuPool%C2%AE-Universal40-Saltwater-Chlorinator-40k-Gallon/dp/B01AV599DW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1521406970&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=CircuPool+RJ60
As I would be doing this myself I dont need the challenge.
Are there really no instructions included and can the read out not adjust to Farenheit?
I just have to be sure this is something I can do before I drop $700 on the unit

Thanks for the reply. No I do not have any automation equipment. As a fact my "system" is about as manual as you can get.
I appreciate the recommendation, however when I go to Amazon there are remarks left by consumers that have me wondering such as: "NO INSTRUCTIONS, CANT CHANGE FROM CELCIUS TO FARENHEIT NO IDEA WHAT THE CODES AND NUMBERS ARE, IT SAYS ITS CONVERTING BUT I CANT TELL SO I HAVE TO GO TO MY POOL DEALER AND HAVE MY SALT CHECKED EVERYWEEK, SPEND THE EXTRA AND GET THE HAYWARD".
https://www.amazon.com/CircuPool%C2%AE-Universal40-Saltwater-Chlorinator-40k-Gallon/dp/B01AV599DW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1521406970&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=CircuPool+RJ60
As I would be doing this myself I dont need the challenge.
Are there really no instructions included and can the read out not adjust to Farenheit?
I just have to be sure this is something I can do before I drop $700 on the unit

rocks,

The 32 page users manual is online.. selecting the C or F is really hard... push Menu and select either C or F... I'll bet most people could figure that out without a manual... :p

I give on-line reviews the respect they deserve... :thumbdown:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. You're right about reviews, but I find cutting into pool plumbing nerve wracking so I want to cut out any possible source of frustration.
I didnt see a RJ60, just the 40 on Amazon, and in this case it appears as though bigger is better. Ill keep looking.
Thanks for the quick reply

I believe one of our TFP users is a CircuPool employee or somehow related to the company. My limited knowledge of their company is that they have excellent customer service.

I’m with Jim - online reviews are entirely worthless. The only people that write them are people who have a problem and like to complain and/or are too ADHD to work through the problem. It’s the instant gratification culture - if it requires anything more than installing batteries and turning the unit on, it’s “worthless”. Apple iPhones ruined everyone :laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We bought the ICHLOR30 with our AGP last year. Only complaint I have is flow errors while pump is on low so I have to keep it on high. Getting a new pump will fix that down the road. But I'm in no rush - system I have works well for the now. Looking forward to summer!! :sun:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.