New Build in Houston, TX - Glass tile vs Porcelain

ryukin

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
cypress, tx
Hello all!

Currently building a pool/spa with travertine coping, raised beams with travertine spilt face, but can't decide on glass or porcelain tile for the waterline.

Love the look of glass but have heard so many negatives. Has anyone out there had glass tile for at least a couple of years? If so, would you use glass tile again? Any info would be awesome!

Here I am. Thanks for calling, Kim!

Ryukin, welcome to TFP! :wave: And hello to my Cypress neighbor!

I have glass tile in several places in my pool completed July of 2015. I used it for the waterline in my spa, to cover the spa benches, on the spa spillway, for step markers, and on the raised walls under 2 sheer descents. As Kim said, I've got you covered!

I love my glass tile! My experience has been mixed. The glass used in places that are both wet and dry definitely takes more maintenance. In my next pool, I won't use glass tile on any walls behind or below sheer descents. That's where I get the worst yucky build-up and hazing. It sneaks up on me especially over winter when it's harder to maintain (working outside the pool rather than in the freezing water). I haven't found a sure-fire way to get the build up completely off the tile, and I've tried all the highly recommended chemicals, sprays, powders, and even a few mystery solutions from the traveling salesman. Lol!!!

The waterline area isn't nearly the problem as glass behind the sheer descents, but I'm glad it's only on the waterline of my spa and not the entire pool waterline. I used a porcelain travertine-look tile for my pool area waterline, and I love it! It still requires regular brushing, but it is much more forgiving than glass. I can scrub my porcelain tile with a good stiff brush and not worry about scratching it like on the glass. My porcelain tile is a matte, non-smooth surface. Granted, there probably is some build up on the porcelain tile that I don't completely remove. The key with it is that I can't SEE it. Maintaining the glass waterline tile in the spa is not a huge issue, but it would be a headache if it was all around the entire pool.

Where I will use glass tile again would be in the 100% underwater applications. Omg, I love it covering my spa benches and as step markers. It's beautiful all the time, day or night and requires NO maintenance. In those areas, it still looks brand new. And when the sun is overhead, the glass is stunning!!

I've used the TFP method of water maintenance since day one. Also the experts here have helped me adjust my water chemical levels to do what I can to prevent the buildup on the glass. I feel I've been very conscientious about the tile with the exception of cleaning it weekly during the winter. One more note... The water in my MUD district is very soft since we no longer draw from only underground water sources, so I can't blame hard water.

I'm sorry if I've burst any bubbles, but I wanted to share what I've learned. Glass tile is expensive stuff, right?! So I'm thrilled with most of it, but I could have saved some big bucks if I hadn't used it in those areas I mentioned that require lots of maintenance with disappointing results.

You can click on the link in my signature below for my pool build thread if you want to see pictures.

Now, have you started your pool build thread? I can't wait to see it! And again, we're so glad you found TFP! It's the best place for all things pool!!

Take care,
Suz

• Love
Reactions: Sunshinecaligirl
Thank you both! That's great info about glass tile. Thanks Kim for calling for Suz's assistance! Read Suz's response and headed to the tile stores today (Master Tile, Noble, and Keystone). Really couldn't find a glass tile for the spa waterline that matched the main pool waterline porcelain tile we liked (blue tones). Looking at going with a blue waterline tile since I'd like to have some contrast against all the travertine. Looks like it'll be ceramic on the main pool and spa waterlines. I will probably make one more trip to master tile and see if I can find one more option.

So my next question (which I ask because I'm a first time pool owner) is, will hard water be really difficult to keep from forming a white line (calcium?) along the waterline?

We were told that the point of a waterline tile is to make it easier to keep clean. Many pb here don’t think they’re a necessity and most pools friends have built have been without. Many are over 20 years old. Pebblecrete with no waterline tile and they don’t have a scum line. We didn’t want to take the chance, so paid the extra for a waterline tile. We have chosen ceramic as our pb apparently refuses to install glass... he’s old school and doesn’t think they’re a necessity at all.

Thank you both! That's great info about glass tile. Thanks Kim for calling for Suz's assistance! Read Suz's response and headed to the tile stores today (Master Tile, Noble, and Keystone). Really couldn't find a glass tile for the spa waterline that matched the main pool waterline porcelain tile we liked (blue tones). Looking at going with a blue waterline tile since I'd like to have some contrast against all the travertine. Looks like it'll be ceramic on the main pool and spa waterlines. I will probably make one more trip to master tile and see if I can find one more option.

So my next question (which I ask because I'm a first time pool owner) is, will hard water be really difficult to keep from forming a white line (calcium?) along the waterline?

We have you covered! We have an app called Pool Math. It tells you how to care for your water. One of the "ingredients" in it is CSI-Calcite Saturation Index. You will use this to make sure your water is balanced to keep any line from happening. It also helps make your plaster live a good, long, trouble free life! I THINK you go to google store or such and down load it. There is a free version that does not save your info but does everything you need it to do at the moment. There is also a paid version so you can track your tests and such.

You can also find our web based Pool Math at the top of the page. If you use this one make sure to go down to the bottom of the page and set your pool up using TFP and such.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.