Prehistoric Pool Gets Major Remodel in NorCal!

Compliant or not, permitted by today’s standard or the “ as built”, I’ll bet you lunch - you have never read a good story about a diving board.

As a contractor & a parent I cut my DB down the day I bought this house.

Just not worth it, risk management buddy..

I'm pretty happy with my water balance now. Today the pool service added about 10 pounds of calcium, and this evening I had PH of 7.2, alkalinity of 80 PPm and calcium of 170 PPM. I feel like it's in pretty good shape for 72 hours after fill. They also put in some chlorine, and the water is absolutely clear and a nice aqua blue color. Funny thing about brushing. I don't see any plaster dust when I brush, but more of the aggregate and the glass beads are showing, so I guess the brushing is having some effect.

So here are a couple pictures taken in the late afternoon without full sun:

Pool Water 1 IMG_4210.jpgPool Water 2.jpg

Attachments

• Pool Water 3 IMG_4212.JPG
    Pool Water 3 IMG_4212.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 209
I AM a Rock Star in my part of the world! Just listen as I go out and about and hear my name called and a small child runs up to give me a big hug! :hug:

When I saw that first pic of the steps I was not even sure there was any water in it!! That is some clear water and it sounds like you have a great handle on the levels! Well done!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, guys. The water really is in good shape. Today I measured PH 7.2 Alkalinity 80 PPM, Calcium 160 PPM and total chlorine 2 PPM (I know, I know, its free choline that matters, but my fancy test kit has not arrived yet). These numbers are all right where I want them, or more precisely, right where my start up card says they should be. Pool services numbers closely match my own. We didn't have to add any chemicals. Not bad for Day 4.

I keep brushing it, and have noticed something. There is no plaster dust that I can see while brushing, but the brushing is having an effect - I am definitely seeing more of the aggregate and glass beads peeking through. That seems strange, without generating a lot of dust.

I am sort of stalled now. I can't get the paver guy in until next week, but I have this sparkling new pool with water that is pretty much ready to go, and its sitting in the midst of a mud pit turned dust bowl. So near and yet so far. I am not the greatest photographer, but here are a couple shots from the second floor to give an idea of the water color. It's a bit lighter than I originally wanted, but I decided I didn't want to risk the blue pigment leaching out. And I have to say this light acqua color is very fitting for a "Retro Classic" pool:

Sparking Pool 1IMG_4218.jpg

Sparkling Pool 2 IMG_4220.jpg

We've watched another here have his brand new pool compromised because of surrounding unpaved dirt/sand. It got into the pool, which wasn't being brushed and vacuumed adequately, and now his new finish is stained. Do stay on top of the brushing. Continue to run that pump non-stop, don't be stingy with the RPMs. Now's the time to baby your new surface, you won't get a second chance. Start vacuuming up anything as soon as the card/PB/warranty allow. Keep the dust and dirt suspended in the water for the filter to get at. You might even consider watering down the surrounding dirt if you see it blowing into the pool...

I'd like to try one of those white clam pizzas, please. Here's a good story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB115103297562588515

I'm glad you found the right answer for you, PoolGuy. I respectfully disagree. How many good stories do you read about kids riding bikes? It's only a story when they get run over.

I recognize your logic. Though my pool is diving compliant, board removal was my personal preference.

Funny you mention bikes, when I was about 8 years old I rode my bike off the diving board, just once.
My parents confiscated my bike for about a week,
I’m sure they never thought about taking the DB down... I’ll have to bring that story up next time I visit them!

My chemical levels all look good and pretty stable after Day 5. Dirk, good point about dirt getting into pool. Haven't had a lot of it so far, and I have been running filter 24/7 and brushing "lots." "Dust bowl" was actually a misdescription of my yard. It was mud a few weeks ago, but the sun has baked it into something like adobe brick. Not much getting into pool. The bigger problem is going to come next week, when they lay the pool deck. Excavating, leveling and compacting dirt, laying and screeding base rock and sand, polymeric sand for the grout lines - this is a potential nightmare for pool finish.

Meanwhile, I have a couple question on pool sweep. I have Polaris 280. Pool service says I should put it back in pool after day 7. I believe I read somewhere it was better to wait until Day 28. What do you guys think? Will it leave tracks in my new plaster?

Second question. Pool builder pulled Polaris out when build started and parked it in a corner of the yard. I should have thought about it but didn't. Now its been sitting there for three months, covered in leaves and stuff. I want to clean it up good before I put it back in. Not sure how to do that. I hosed it off but there are still green and brown stains on it. Should I wash in bleach diluted in water? Can I use soap on it if I rinse it good? Don't want to get soap in my pristine new water. I am getting new wheels for the Polaris on the advice of the pool service guy, he says they might leave tracks if I use the old ones.

I would appreciate any advice or experiences you guys can share.

I ran my wheeled vac after about a week, at the advice of the plasterer, no issues. But there is a contingent that says 28 days, so not sure. If it was plaster (no pebble), I wouldn't take the chance. Theoretically, the plaster holding in your pebbles should be "lower" than the pebbles, so the wheels would only touch the pebbles, and the pebbles are tough. The call should be made by whoever would be honoring the warranty. I'd want that instruction to be in an email (paper trail, just in case). Polarises (Polarii?) do have that tail, so that's something to consider, that thing does swing and bang around.

Scrub the heck out of the Polaris, do what you gotta do to get it clean (without compromising the plastic, so use bleach sparingly, if at all), then rinse it well, or give it a bath (submerge it in your bathtub if you're really worried about it, I wouldn't). Humans are going to drag way worse into your pool than a little soap and water...

They now have most of the paver base down (class II recycled concrete) and compacted so less chance of stuff blowing in the pool. It is starting to look like the end is in sight. Chemical balance in the pool has been very stable and not much has blown into it yet. Water is crystal clear and inviting. Still brushing like crazy! Here is a pic with the paver base down:

Paver Base IMG_4238.jpg

They were about ready to start laying sand on top of the base rock when I sort of threw a monkey wrench in things this afternoon. The elevation was about 3.5 inches from finished elevation. My travertine pavers are 1.25 inches, meaning they were going to put down 2.25 inches of sand. I have read that you shouldn't use more than one inch of sand, because otherwise the pavers can shift around - the compacted base rock is more stable than the sand. So I told them they need more base rock and they had to go get more material.

I am not an expert on this stuff - "all I know is what I read in the papers" - but I have to try to supervise based on what I know. Sometimes I wonder if a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Oh well, I am getting more base rock.

Good catch on the lack of road base. It seems you really do have to keep on top of them. Well I guess some people don’t and are blissfully unaware throughout their build. I have to admit that at times I wish that was me. Mostly though I know this stress and having to question everything will pay off... eventually. I feel like every day is a battle at the moment. Your water looks beautiful by the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.