Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remodel - Pool Finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Remodel - Pool Finish

Hi! I'm new to this forum. We are in the process of getting bids from several pool builders to remodel our 30 year-old-pool located in Northern CA. We have the original plaster finish on a 20,000 gallon free form pool and plan to keep the aggregate deck which is in OK condition.

I'm on overload with the types of pool finish and tile choices!

When I started this project we were going to go with a white plaster and add an extra additive for strength. Now we are looking at the following two different pool finish choices:

• Wet Edge Altima (French Grey or Pacific for a medium blue pool)
    • Aquavations Hydrazzo Bella Platino (gray in color for a medium blue look)

Is one finish better than the other? Every builder seems to use a certain manufacturer so it seems difficult to compare. Any comments or suggestions?

I've narrowed my tile choices to NPT Aquarius Moorea or Gemstone Blue. I had also looked at NPT Blue Seas Light Blue but they don't have a matching 2" tile for the spa dam wall.

Any help would be appreciated.
    30-year-old IG free-form plaster 20,000 gallon remodel project

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remodel - Pool Finish

Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't have experience with either of those finishes, but I'm some other members do. Feel free to reply back to this thread as often as you need to for more replies. Thanks for using the forum, and best of luck on your renovation!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, I'm currently renovating and want grey as well. We liked the look of the french grey altima but one of the guys that came out said they don't like using it as it streaks. They don't recommend it to anyone. I was looking at Wet edge luna quartz Bermuda or Krystalkrete french grey or salt and pepper, I'll be curious to see what you decide!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your feedback!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are no guarantees with grey plaster. I've seen two and they both streaked
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

6. Back To Top    #6

That certainly concerns me! One of the companies I met with pushes the gray finishes saying they are the most popular color choices. Ugh!

I also looked at Altima Pacific which looks like a medium blue hue. I guess it's worth a second look.

Thanks for your feedback.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MB3214 View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. We are in the process of getting bids from several pool builders to remodel our 30 year-old-pool located in Northern CA. We have the original plaster finish on a 20,000 gallon free form pool and plan to keep the aggregate deck which is in OK condition.

I'm on overload with the types of pool finish and tile choices!

When I started this project we were going to go with a white plaster and add an extra additive for strength. Now we are looking at the following two different pool finish choices:

• Wet Edge Altima (French Grey or Pacific for a medium blue pool)
    • Aquavations Hydrazzo Bella Platino (gray in color for a medium blue look)

Is one finish better than the other? Every builder seems to use a certain manufacturer so it seems difficult to compare. Any comments or suggestions?

I've narrowed my tile choices to NPT Aquarius Moorea or Gemstone Blue. I had also looked at NPT Blue Seas Light Blue but they don't have a matching 2" tile for the spa dam wall.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Where in NorCal are you? I'm in Petaluma and am trying to get quotes to remodel my 30 years old pool as well.

IG ~18,000 gallon Primera Stone Tahoe Coast freeform pool. PureLine 2.7HP VS pump, Hayward booster, FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Crystal Pure 40K SWCG, Kreepy Krawly Legend. TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello,

want company gave you the Wet Edge Estimate? I am pretty sure we only have 1 option in our area.
    Sacramento, CA - In Ground Plaster - 18,00 Gallons - Chlorine - 3HP Pentair Intelliflow #11018 - Pentair Clean & Clear Filter #160301 - Dolphin S200 Robot - TF100

9. Back To Top    #9

I met with Geremia Pools and Burkett's. I have one more company to meet with.

10. Back To Top    #10

What you can do is ask to go see some of their past pools. See how the plaster looks. Ask them if they have them do work for them again.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you Kim. I need to take the time and go visit customers with the pool finish I'm interested in and just make a decision.