FAS-PDP chlorine test kits in Australia?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I'd like to SLAM my pool. The instructions here say a wide range FAS-PDP kit is needed to measure FC and CC.

Australian Pool shops don't seem to have these. The only one I could see was a Taylor 2006 kit (online) which costs hundreds of dollars.

Any recommendations? Should I buy from overseas?

I wouldn't expect a pool store to sell an decent test kit. Most of their chemicals are sold because of their (typically) terrible free testing, so supporting and providing accurate home testing goes against their business model and would hurt their profits.

Contact Clear Choice Labs. They are based in Brisbane. I have to give them a big shout out as they went all out to get me a Chlorine test kit (even though out of stock) just this past weekend during my slam.

I would recommend buying their complete test kit not just the Chlorine kit.

Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) is not common :)

It's more common for DIYers to rely on DPD (white tablets) or OTO (yellow) testing. Many get by with that if they keep CYA low and shock regularly. Most common pool care is probably pool shop based with DIY mixed in.

TFPC allows you to reduce chemical consumption (and SWG run time) and seldom if ever need to shock your pool, or have it go green the day before a birthday party :)

For TFPC, you need FAS-DPD for accurate FC testing, which enables the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test, and if/when needed, also enables you to SLAM Process.

+1 thumbs up on that kit - i have it too.

I can remember thinking "wow i could get 10 cheap kits for the price of that", but in hindsight I now know it has saved money in the long run.
I was probably spending on average $20 a week buying various things initially to add to the pool. Now I'm spending on average $20 about every 3 months.
So its a high upfront cost but will save you in the long run once you work out the TFPC way.

Reactions: batmanau

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.