Getting keys to pool, Questions have just begun!

ohana4

Aug 14, 2017
Englewood, FL
We are getting the "keys" to the pool tomorrow, and we are so ready to start using FTP ways to keep our pool the shiniest in the neighborhood. We've been using the T-K2006C kit to check up on our new pool's progress. Mostly, it's just been pH issues which Kimkat has been able to help with, and I'm starting to get the understanding of THAT portion of my pool's mood swings. Everything else on the tests has been decent and not much to worry about (I think!) besides the pool builder guy put too much conditioner in and now my CYA is 90-120, depending on how I squint into the bottle with the dot.

But today's results have me in a bit of a quandary. My FC was 10.8, and it's always been less than 7. I read somewhere that pH doesn't count when FC is so high, so I'm not too sure what to make of my pH at >8. Yesterday, we had to add some MA to get it down to 7.4. How can it have gone up THAT quickly? So at this point, should I not add MA to lower the pH? And what could have caused the jump on my FC? Pool school is tomorrow and I think the guy will probably check our water, so I am inclined to not do much with the pool unless someone here has some instruction for me. We did take a very brief (10 min) swim yesterday because the pool looked so pretty. Could that have messed up my numbers?

Also, what should I be running my pumps at? We have a Pentair IntelliFlo VSF and our current Rpm is 2000. I think it should be higher. Hubby says it's fine. I am finding that we have tons of pollen floating on the pool that has made it through our pool screen. To me, the pool water seems too still. We have 3 returns and 1 skimmer, if that makes a difference. And the pool is approx 115000 gallons. Not sure if that matters.

Thank you!

o,

You got all the right stuff to cause your pH to increase.. New Plaster, Bubblers, Waterfalls, Magic Bowls, and SWCG... Everything and anything that causes aeration will also cause your pH to increase..

I run my pool at 1200 rpm most of the time and I don't have a screen room.. I would think 2000 rpm would be plenty for normal skimming. You don't need toilet bowel like currents to keep the surface of the water clean. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

o,

You got all the right stuff to cause your pH to increase.. New Plaster, Bubblers, Waterfalls, Magic Bowls, and SWCG... Everything and anything that causes aeration will also cause your pH to increase..

I run my pool at 1200 rpm most of the time and I don't have a screen room.. I would think 2000 rpm would be plenty for normal skimming. You don't need toilet bowel like currents to keep the surface of the water clean. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. I'll lower the rpm to 1500 then. We only run the bubblers and waterfalls for about 5 min a day, to get the water from the bowls refreshed. I have kind of resigned myself that the pH wars will continue until one of us gives up. And it won't be me, so it'll have to be the pool.

Any idea why my FC jumped so high in a day?

o,

Is your salt cell on line? What does the following page from ScreenLogic look like??

dbtgallery.php

FC can't increase on its own... something is either generating chlorine or someone is adding chlorine... or I suppose a testing error... :p

Jim R.

o,

I suspect you are using your phone... What is the Pool Output percentage?

Jim R.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I only work two days a week, but when I work, it's all day.

The one I use is on my iPad right now. But it's more simplistic looking. Doesn't have a graph of correct salt level, just a number. My output is 20% on the pool. But we had it on 50% before the pool guy turned it down, so it was probably making too much salt/chlorine. Not sure. But now our salt is 4050, so we put the pool output to 30% in hopes of balancing out the FC with the salt. Since the day it was over 10, yesterday was 9 and today fell to 4 because I think we dropped it to 20% and it was too fast. So we'll see what happens tomorrow (again, I work so it's up to the husband to do pool shenanigans tomorrow).

o,

Yes, the cell being on is why your FC went up...

It will take a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, before you can get your Salt Cell dialed in... The cell has no brain.. you (or your husband) is the cell's brain.. You need to test your FC level about the same time each day and track it... If the FC is going up, then you need to turn the percent of output, or your pump run time, down.. If the FC is too low, you have to increase the % or run time...

As the weather gets warmer, your pool will use more FC each day.. and of course in the fall the FC demand will go back down. So this is something that you will need to adjust every two or three weeks..

Just so that we are on the same page... The amount of FC and the amount of salt have nothing to do with one another. The cell will produce the same amount of chlorine whether you have the minimum amount of salt or the maximum amount of salt... As long as there is salt, the cell does not really care how much, as long as it is in proper range.

Thanks for the feedback..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.