When to start using Chlorine Tablets on Newly Built Spool?

Great site here. I have been reading up and trying to absorb as much info as a new pool owner.

Spool was completed two weeks ago (details in signature) and I have been following the start up procedures described in the forum:

• Pool Builder added sequestering agent on initial fill
  • Brushing twice a day for the past two weeks
  • Maintaining PH and Chlorine levels (testing daily)
  • Checking Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness levels (in correct range)

PH levels seem to finally be leveling off, first 10 days PH would always be darker than the 8.2 reading and I have been adding liquid chlorine daily (10%). I have read different suggestions about when its ok to start using Chlorine tablets, some sites say wait 30 days, other say two weeks. Just looking to see what others here suggest.

Thank you.

20180225_092316 (1).jpg

We don't actually recommend them at all for routine use. Unless you plan on draining and refilling each time the CYA level gets too high? With a small amount of water such as that it isn't unheard of. Otherwise you can use them anytime now.

We prefer liquid chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator.

WHen your pH rises you should use muriatic acid to lower it. Adding chlorine does not change the pH.

Can you tell us -
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Those are the levels you'll need to be able to monitor and tweak as necessary.

Maddie :flower:

You can start using them as soon as the pool is filled BUT you do not want to use them at all except when you go on vacation.

While the tablets are easy they are also something you do not want to use on a daily bases. The reason being they add other stuff to your pool. Most of them add CYA (Stabilizer). For each tablet you use you add about 6ppm of CYA. CYA does not go away. So the more tablets you use the higher the CYA goes. That bad part of that is show on this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

As you can see from the chart the higher your CYA the higher your FC needs to be. After a while you will not be able to add enough FC to keep ahead of the CYA...............that is when the green monster shows it's head-algae! The only way to lower CYA is to remove and add water :( WIth you being in CA (please add that info to your location) that could cause some problems.

If you are just talking about using the tablets to add some CYA to your pool that is okay but not really a good choose as it adds it so slowly. You are better off adding it using the powder CYA you can buy at Walmart or Lowes.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.