Jandy?

bob74

Mar 11, 2018
Mount Hope
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here so I hope this is a good question.

I'm about to install a 14'x22' on ground pool with a depth of 4.5'.

The person I'm dealing with is pushing a Jandy system for our pool. I never heard of them, and can't find many reviews about them.
He basically said to run a jxi200 heater with a Jandy pump with one speed. (don't know what model)

My questions are: How good is Jandy and will it last? Should I go with Hayward?

Jandy is offering 5 year warranty. 3 years 100% covered and last 2 years $200 deductible. Hayward is 1 year. He says Jandy only offers this when you purchase your entire pool system from them. So Jandy everything including salt. My concern is that Jandy used copper heat exchange, and Hayward has
cupro nickel heat exchanger.
Any insight would be great.
Thanks a lot
Bob
I live in Ontario, Canada
:p

Bob,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your new pool equipment questions... :shark:

The three big players for pool equipment are.. Pentair, Hayward and Jandy.. The all have pluses and minus but they are all about the same quality wise..

Jandy makes several different salt systems... I do not recommend any of them that include the words "Soft" or Fusion"... Keep in mind that any salt cells need to be rated at least 2 x the volume of your pool..

It should be illegal to install pools with single speed pumps.. :D Because you will need to run your pump longer so that your salt system can generate the chlorine you need, you really should go with a 2-speed pump, or a variable speed, pump..

I suggest you get the exact part numbers of what the pool builder is recommending and show it to us for our "Seal of Approval"... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the heads up on the pump. Were going in to finalize our purchase on Wednesday, I'll have to talk to him about another pump. Do you think the Jandy is a reliable system?
Or should I go with my gut instinct and get Hayward?
Thanks
Bob

Bob,

I see about equal positive and negative comments here about all three companies...(Pentair, Jandy, Hayward)

It is kind of like the old "My Ford is better than your Chevy" feud... They are pretty much the same.

But.. if you want Hayward, tell your pool builder you want Hayward... In almost every case, I have ever seen, new pool equipment all has the same basic warranty. I suspect the Hayward Warranty is at least 3 years when buying a new system... I suggest you contact them to make sure your pool builder is telling you the whole story.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jandy is great that is what I have. Like has been said, they are tier 1 so no issues. Are you getting any automation? Remote control is nice especially if you have any water features. Also I think I would ask about upgrading to the JXi400 as it will heat the pool much faster. I don't think it costs much more but may require your gas line to be heavied up. Jandy also has cupro-nickel model heaters.

https://www.jandy.com/en/products/heaters

The pool guy told me that the bigger unit would burn more fuel and really wouldn't heat the pool much faster. Just found out today he's giving us the Zodiac EI salt chlorinator.
Any thoughts on that?
We did not take any automation upgrades. Just a timer.
Also upped the pool size to 15x25 :)

Thanks.

The pool guy told me that the bigger unit would burn more fuel and really wouldn't heat the pool much faster. Just found out today he's giving us the Zodiac EI salt chlorinator.
Any thoughts on that?
We did not take any automation upgrades. Just a timer.
Also upped the pool size to 15x25 :)

Thanks.

Both heater models are 85% efficient. Each puts out a specific BTU that is added to the water. A larger heater will heat faster. With your volume you will be happy with the smaller size. I don't think the overall running costs will vary that much. Go with the builder's advice on this one!

I don't like that salt cell at all. It puts out very little chlorine. I would go with something else. The FusionSoft is what I have but maybe even go with something more. If you ever want automation you need to stick with all the same brand. Factor that into your decision.

Chlorine Output:
APURE35 - 0.62 oz. (17.5 g) per hour (.93 lb /day or 420 gm /day)

Compared to the FusionSoft
1.25 lb / day (567 gm / day)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bob,

I have 5 years on the same Flopro pump and CX 200 Jandy cartridge with no leaks, no runs, no errors. Cleaning the filter is a 20 min job with a cheap filter comb on the end of a hose. I also have 4 yrs on the jxi heater... minor problems with connections in the fairly complicated interlock system but once I used some Corrosion Block on them I've not had any problems. My research is this is a common problem especially in the humidity of Florida. Most of the pumps use the same manufacturer of electric motor. A trick I use to make it last is to remove the 4 long bolts that hold the case together, one at at time. Add some anti-seize to the threaded end and re-install. This way when you need to replace the bearing you will be able to do so without twisting the bolt of because of dissimilar metal corrosion. With this little trick you can usually get 15 years+ and only pay for bearings and seals every 5-10 years.

I agree with other's comments that these all seem about the same in terms of quality, reliability. If you're going to add automation try to stay with the same system. It will be easier to hook up and get the most features to work. One exception is on the valve actuators and I believe either Pentair or Hayward that make a superior model that is much easier to adjust accurately. Metallurgists never have real clear answers to anything but they seem to be in general agreement that cupro-nickel is better metallurgy for pools and especially salt water systems.

That's my $.02, I hope it helps.

Chris

Bob,

I have 5 years on the same Flopro pump and CX 200 Jandy cartridge with no leaks, no runs, no errors. Cleaning the filter is a 20 min job with a cheap filter comb on the end of a hose. I also have 4 yrs on the jxi heater... minor problems with connections in the fairly complicated interlock system but once I used some Corrosion Block on them I've not had any problems. My research is this is a common problem especially in the humidity of Florida. Most of the pumps use the same manufacturer of electric motor. A trick I use to make it last is to remove the 4 long bolts that hold the case together, one at at time. Add some anti-seize to the threaded end and re-install. This way when you need to replace the bearing you will be able to do so without twisting the bolt of because of dissimilar metal corrosion. With this little trick you can usually get 15 years+ and only pay for bearings and seals every 5-10 years.

I agree with other's comments that these all seem about the same in terms of quality, reliability. If you're going to add automation try to stay with the same system. It will be easier to hook up and get the most features to work. One exception is on the valve actuators and I believe either Pentair or Hayward that make a superior model that is much easier to adjust accurately. Metallurgists never have real clear answers to anything but they seem to be in general agreement that cupro-nickel is better metallurgy for pools and especially salt water systems.

That's my $.02, I hope it helps.

Chris

Thank you sir.
I will take all the advise and information I can. This is a big purchase $25,200 (Canadian $) so like $19,500 USD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.