Benefit of robotic cleaner (HW Shakrvac) for single speed pump?

Mar 11, 2018
Parker
We're replacing our Pentair Legend Platinum w/ booster pump. I was just planning on doing the Polaris 280, but the more I've been looking into it, I'm seeing some robotic cleaners, specifically the Hayward Sharkvac, that aren't much more expensive than the Polaris, kind of in the $500-$600 range. I know the maintenance on robot cleaners can cost more, plus in general a shorter lifespan, but I also saw that they can save you money on electricity and water because your pump can run at a slower speed. However, we just have a single speed pump, so I didn't know if there would be much of an advantage in that regard. I guess we wouldn't be running the booster pump. I don't mind a little extra cost if the results are considerably better, I'm just trying to get all my proverbial ducks in a row.

Anyway, we haven't replaced the cleaner before, I've just been trying to keep the Legend up and running but I believe I've made my peace and am moving on. So any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Justin

Welcome to the forum!

As you already pointed out, the main benefit is you are not running the booster which consumes quite a bit of energy. But also, you may be able to reduce the run time of the one speed since it is no longer needed for floor cleaning. In many cases, you can reduce run time to just 2 hours per day but it does depend on how you are chlorinating the pool. Getting the correct amount of FC in the pool and distributed everyday is the most important thing. Everything else is cosmetic and optional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.