Green Algae Stains? Will not brush off, in mid SLAM

Jul 7, 2017
Mesa
New to the site. Bear with me.

Filter broke and got some Algae. I had drifts of brownish green debris, that was going around broken filter. Fixed the filter and replaced cartridges. Started a SLAM and got a TF-100. Even got the app. PH is good and, CYA at 39, Chlorine level at 15. Been brushing regularly. Not done overnight test yet.

Debris is gone and water is clear. The troubling thing is I have green stains on my blue/gray pebble sheen. I have scrubbed with a bristle and a wire brush on the pole. Has not seemed to make a dent.

Is it another kind of algae? How do I get rid of it? Thanks for your advice.

Will try to attach pics.

Attachments

• Pool Stain 1.JPG
    Pool Stain 1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Pool Stain2.JPG
    Pool Stain2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Have you ever added algaecides? Could it be metal staining from iron or copper?

Take a chlorine puck and hold it against the stain for a couple of minutes and see if that helps? If so, it means it is organic

Then if it still is there, take a handful of cheap Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and bash'em up a bit. Now hold that against the stain and wait a couple of minutes. If that alters it, it implies metal stains.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to the forum:wave:

I assume Mesa is in AZ........center of the US for water that is high in Calcium. My bet is those are Calcium deposits and the algae has embedded in them.

Is the "stain" rough to the touch? Scrape some off your wall if you can and put a little acid on it. If it fizzes from the acid, it is calcium.

Thanks for the assistance.

I have not added an algacide for maybe 9 months and it was before a full water change. It was Skillit/Copper free. My daughters have very blonde hair and go green quick.

I tried the chlorine tab for a couple minutes and it made no change.

It is a Pebble Tech/scheen pool, so a rough by nature. I can't perceive a difference it coarseness. The algae embedded in calcium sounds like a possibility. I had been limping along with a little algae and with cold water. The area that is worse is the most algae prone area in the pool.

If it does not go away, is an acid wash the fix? That will teach me for being lazy this winter.

The area that is worse is the most algae prone area in the pool.
Does that imply that area showing the staining is more shaded by chance? Also, did this happen only recently when you started the SLAM, or are these stains something that have been there for months?
If it does not go away, is an acid wash the fix?
Perhaps, but I wouldn't rush to judge that quite yet. Still curious to know if the Vitamin C tablets do anything. Even though you tried a product that stated "copper free", it would be good to rule out the Vitamin C test.

Update. It turns out the chlorine tablet I left on the stain for a few minutes did remove the stain. It just was not immediate. Went out the other day and noticed a perfectly clean circle.

Finished SLAM Tuesday night with a night time drop of 1 (15 to 14). Levels were at 7 on Thursday afternoon. Will check it in a bit and maintain 4-5. Will track amounts to see if I am through, or if this stain is an issue.

So does that rule out the need for the vitamin C?

The area gets sun, but not later in the day.

Since the puck lightened the stain, it sounds as though your staining is indeed organic/algae related, and no need to use the Vitamin C any longer. You're welcome to try just for giggles, but I wouldn't expect a change. If you passed all 3 SLAM criteria Tuesday, then it could take a while for the staining to completely resolve, especially if the staining got "set-in" to the plaster/pebble. A combination of running your FC slightly elevated and consistent scrubbing should help to slowly dissipate the stains. Have a nice weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.