repair or refurbish SWG cell?

You might have one of these: QuikSkim Venturi Powered A Manufacturing
Click through to the installation manual pdf to get a better description, then try it open and have a look in the skimmer with basket out, and with that valve open or not open.
Manual is a link on: QuikSkim Installation Instructions A Manufacturing

Huh. Cool, if it works. I wish my skimmer worked better than it does. The demo pic on their home page makes it look like the skimmer intake is bypassed (I didn't get into the instructions.) I wonder if he has to shut the skimmer down and intake from the drains while it is on...

I'd love to hear if that thing works. I was just looking at some sort of Venturi gizmo on Amazon for a skimmer basket. Just an add-on thing. All the reviews said it worked, but that it was hard to clean.

Yep, looks like it needs the drain (from their brochure):

The design of A&A’s QuikSkim enhances skimming efficiency and eliminates the need to use pump suction. QuikSkim allows the pump’s power to be dedicated to your pool’s drain for maximum debris removal. This process is not only energy efficient, but provides the most effective surface skimming available.

But then:

A&A’s QuikSkim features a unique, patented anti-entrapment design which ensures complete safety for you and your family. Because QuikSkim is venturi-powered, it’s skimming power comes from return water, not the pool pump. This not only means an incredibly efficient skimmer, but the safest way to keep your pool clean.

But whatever entrapment problem that might solve for a skimmer (is there such a thing?), gets overshadowed, I'd hazard to say, by the increased use of the drain, which has a much larger potential for entrapment than skimmers do! Weird sales pitch...

THANKS TO all of you, and 'YALL NAILED IT!

The Professional Pool Fool who came out on my homeowner purchase warranty IN December told me (for $65) the cell was in warranty, but not cared for. When Hayward denied warranty due to lack of care, and the homeowner warranty did same, Pro Pool Fool offered to put in a new one for about $700. The fool din't consider telling me to boil the WHAT out of it with HCL as 'yall have recommended!

Oh, and I told The Pool Fool (while still living in CA) to clean my filter system for $175 ( in lieu of the $75 I would pay in CA) and he couldn't even get around to that.

So much for "professionals?"

Gotta find the Pool Fool's Yelp page and tear him a new one.

Nonetheless, my SWG today was running around 26 volts and 6 amps. Overnight the chlorine went from zero to 1 PPM (?) on the regular schedule at 60% SWG activity.

Today I ran a "super chlorinate" program on the Hayward panel for several hours, and the pool went to 3 PPM. Initially the water coming out the jets was close to 4 PPM, best I could measure.

I expect, due to the CH tests I've done, that I have lots of COPPER in my water, and that might have been some of the gray fouling I experienced when water flushing the cell betwix HCL boils.

So, again, THANKS TO 'YALL. 'YALL JUST SAVED ME A BINDLE.

~!~~
Oh, and, regarding SWG rebuilds? The guys on this thread below are thrilled with this service; the vendor chops a hole in the side of the cell, replace the goodies, and seals it back up. One guy has had his still running since 2012?

It's on our own site: Rebuilding SWG cells

Tanks again.

mac

That's great news and very glad to hear it. Stand by, we'll be right back...

Did you know that becoming a supporter is a one-time, tax-deductible, very modest, charitable donation, which all goes toward keeping this website running? And there's some perks that go with it? There's a big ole button up top to make it easy to get there, and did I say it was modest? Yeh, I think so. You'll get great advice either way :)

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Whoa, hang on, not so fast. Talk about cliff-hanger!! Did needsajet figure out the QuickSkim?!?

Doesn't need to be belabored on this site, but I will anyway. It's pretty shameful what the pool industry in general and "pool pros" specifically continue to get away with: lack of knowledge/ethics, price gouging, conflict of interest, lack of accountability, etc. We don't always want government intervention, but I do see a need for some basic regulation for the industry. It is health-related after all. TFP continues to make real progress in illuminating and dispelling when and where they can, and we desperately need them to continue. Please do consider supporting them. They've already saved me soooo much money! It's quite a bargain!!

THANKS TO all of you, and 'YALL NAILED IT!

The Professional Pool Fool who came out on my homeowner purchase warranty IN December told me (for $65) the cell was in warranty, but not cared for. When Hayward denied warranty due to lack of care, and the homeowner warranty did same, Pro Pool Fool offered to put in a new one for about $700. The fool din't consider telling me to boil the WHAT out of it with HCL as 'yall have recommended!

Oh, and I told The Pool Fool (while still living in CA) to clean my filter system for $175 ( in lieu of the $75 I would pay in CA) and he couldn't even get around to that.

So much for "professionals?"

Gotta find the Pool Fool's Yelp page and tear him a new one.

Nonetheless, my SWG today was running around 26 volts and 6 amps. Overnight the chlorine went from zero to 1 PPM (?) on the regular schedule at 60% SWG activity.

Today I ran a "super chlorinate" program on the Hayward panel for several hours, and the pool went to 3 PPM. Initially the water coming out the jets was close to 4 PPM, best I could measure.

I expect, due to the CH tests I've done, that I have lots of COPPER in my water, and that might have been some of the gray fouling I experienced when water flushing the cell betwix HCL boils.

So, again, THANKS TO 'YALL. 'YALL JUST SAVED ME A BINDLE.

~!~~
Oh, and, regarding SWG rebuilds? The guys on this thread below are thrilled with this service; the vendor chops a hole in the side of the cell, replace the goodies, and seals it back up. One guy has had his still running since 2012?

It's on our own site: Rebuilding SWG cells

Tanks again.

mac

Thanks for all of your common sense suggestions? Duh.me.

Some kind of actuator shows up in the control panel! What could that be? I don't see anything that appears to be? I expect it is just a computer feature that isn't used.

I do have a water feature on a 2HP separate pump. That's pretty simple.

Oh, and, it's too cold here to go for a swim. Phoenix in March? The pool is 63 degrees!

We don't have natural gas out in the county, so, no heater!

Oh, and I noted previously that my SWG was running about 26 volts and 6 amps. I stated the wattage incorrectly; it is around 160 watts.

Is this pretty typical?

The only refurbishment they can do is to dissolve the scale. Repeat the cleaning until it stops bubbling, but follow the cleaning procedure each time. It may work after you've done enough to remove the majority of the scale. Don't poke it to remove scale.

Have you used dry acid in the pool (the powdered stuff?). If so it may just recur. If not, once you get that cell or a new cell working, you can prevent scale build-up with good water chemistry.

Good luck with it and nice to meet you via TFP :)
This is not so. Salt Solutions rebuilds the units with Hayward parts for Hayward units at a fraction of the cost of a new unit. I'm about to try it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.