Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for new pump and motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for new pump and motor

I have a 16x24 kayak pool with a cartridge style filter system. The motor finally quite. I'm looking for recommendations for a new pump and motor setup to replace it. Looking for something quite and wondering what's the best HP motor to run. I have 1 skimmer 1 return 1 main drain in the deep end and a small slide all plumbed with rigid style 11/2 pipe. Also I'm currently running a 120v 1.5 HP single speed. Not looking to spend a fortune so probably would rather stick with a single speed. The motor being quite is the most important thing.
    14,500K above ground Kayak with deep end. Sta-rite 100sqft cartridge filter with 1.5hp pump/motor. TF-100 test kit w/speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for new pump and motor

I would really think about going to a 2 speed if at all possible. This will save you money in the future on your power bill. As for quiet, most of the newer pumps are quiet.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello OP,
    You should consider a variable speed pump. Those will save you quite a bit of money and pay for themselves in about 1 year compared to a single speed pump.

Good luck,
    Ralph

4. Back To Top    #4

It's worth checking out what electrical connection you have first. I have 115 volts, and was convinced to go with a 2 speed pump, but was very dismayed to realize when I started hooking it up that it was a 220 volt pump. It was at least a few hundred bucks to get the power switched, so I am back with the one speed 115 volt pump.
    25,000 Gallon IG Plaster
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Challenger Pump
    Unknown install date
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Chappie that is a good catch! Sorry you had to learn it the hard way but thinks for sharing!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    It's worth checking out what electrical connection you have first. I have 115 volts, and was convinced to go with a 2 speed pump, but was very dismayed to realize when I started hooking it up that it was a 220 volt pump. It was at least a few hundred bucks to get the power switched, so I am back with the one speed 115 volt pump.
    There are 115 volt two speed pumps. However, it's a good reminder that two speed pumps are single voltage.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Yes, you need 220V for 2 speed. However, you can do the math to discern what wiring costs and breaker upgrade would cost to go from single pole to d-pole, and if there are any additional costs from the main house panel to pool panel/pump energy source. The energy required for a 1 speed is twice that of the lower speed of the 2 speed pump. Over 2-5 yrs, it could pay for itself.
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have 120v to the pump panel. I see they have two speed motors that run on 120v are these also good at saving energy/$ ?
    Usually 220 is the way to go but I am not interested in changing any wiring.
    Mainly looking for something quite
    14,500K above ground Kayak with deep end. Sta-rite 100sqft cartridge filter with 1.5hp pump/motor. TF-100 test kit w/speedstir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Two speed motors are ok at 230 or 115 volts.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

Has anyone heard of a blue torrent 2 speed pump ? I found one at my local pool store but I've
    never heard of that brand. It's 2 speed 120v
    dont want to buy junk.