Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will PVC glue work underwater?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Will PVC glue work underwater?

I realized the other day when doing some winter maintenance that my umbrella sleeves never got glued in. They just pull out. Can I glue these while they are under around 4" of water? The pool is winterized so the water level has been reduced by around a foot. I can pump some more water out to get them dry as they are almost out of the water now but probably would mean pumping several thousand gallons out. I'd prefer not to if the PVC glue will work underwater. I'd remove the sleeves, slather on PVC glue, then put them back and hold them down with a rock until cured.
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will PVC glue work underwater?

It won't work under water.

What if you create a dam around the sleeve and shop-vac out the water?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds strange to me? There’s a body, upper flange and cap. The upper fledge is a press fit, no glue. I believe it’s designed that way to be expendable sonif tge umbrella cracks it, you so t have to chisel out the entire holder.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    That sounds strange to me? There’s a body, upper flange and cap. The upper fledge is a press fit, no glue. I believe it’s designed that way to be expendable sonif tge umbrella cracks it, you so t have to chisel out the entire holder.
    Oh? Well that would explain it. It came out on its own I thought they forgot to glue it. So it is supposed to be this way? I shoved it back in and it was fairly tight so not sure how it came out in the first place.
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

5. Back To Top    #5

While I realize that you don't need the glue, just FYI there are PVC cements that cure underwater. Oatey Rain-R-Shine PVC Cement is one and Mr. Sticky's is another. Just in case you ever actually need some that cures underwater.

In this case I'd say it's a good thing you didn't know that before asking about the sleeves.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGate View Post
    .... so not sure how it came out in the first place.
    Shrinkage

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates