Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya readings after winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya readings after winter

So, 2nd year in a row my cya has dropped considerably over the winter. In October it was 60. Now it's below 20.
    FC. 7
    Cc. 0
    Ph. 7.4
    TA. 75
    Ca. 300
    Cya 30 or less
    I keep a solar cover on all winter. Where is my cya going? With all the rain I have only drained 2" off the pool. Any ideas?
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya readings after winter

CYA can be consumed by microorganisms (bacteria & fungi) as an energy source. The end result, if all the proper bacteria are present, is for the CYA to eventually become nitrogen gas and nitrates. If there is not the right mix of bacteria, then you get a really, really bad result - CYA gets converted to ammonia and you have a HUGE chlorine demand at spring startup (it requires the FC needed to be 10X the amount of ammonia in ppm N, so a reading of 8ppm ammonia on an aquarium test kit would require 80ppm FC to neutralize).

The other possibility is winter rain & snow dilution if water is routinely drained from the pool over winter months.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

4. Back To Top    #4

I lost about 10 CYA per month as well and my pool was covered most of the time since october, luckily CYA is cheap when purchased in bulk
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by BasicTek View Post
    I lost about 10 CYA per month as well and my pool was covered most of the time since october, luckily CYA is cheap when purchased in bulk
    Jeez, less than $2 a pound? That's a great price for it, but I'd never need that much for my little pool, lol.
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    Jeez, less than $2 a pound? That's a great price for it, but I'd never need that much for my little pool, lol.
    I've been using my leftover pucks and a couple bottles of liquid the previous pool owners left behind, not sure when I'll actually need that much either but they sell it in all sizes on ebay. With that 25 lb box you can afford to lose more CYA than expected...
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I sure don't want ammonia.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13

8. Back To Top    #8

i bought a bottle of the 50 cya test solution last year. Used it yesterday while I had nothing better to do and it showed 0 cya. Does the solution go bad?

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't think it goes bad that quickly. Wonder if you got a bad batch?

did you get it from tftestkits? If so you should let them know.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, I only buy from tft. Matter of fact I placed and order yesterday!

11. Back To Top    #11

There was some bad batches last year. PM OTpirate and she’ll check the batch id.

- - - Updated - - -

There was some bad batches last year. PM OTpirate and she’ll check the batch id.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Is it possible that water temps being low could have caused an off reading??
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    i bought a bottle of the 50 cya test solution last year. Used it yesterday while I had nothing better to do and it showed 0 cya. Does the solution go bad?
    Did you test this last year and it had 50? If using TF100 then 0 could also be 15 right... and how many months... I have some that I bought over the summer. I'll try and test it but I have a taylor kit so 0 could also be 25 in my case. I don't expect mine to still be at 50 but will be interesting to see. I did test it in late summer and it was definitely 50 then.
    -Tim-

14. Back To Top    #14

Getting back to this I just finally tested my 8 month-ish old CYA sample and surprisingly I got 60 not 50 (not sure why, tested 3 times back to sun on birght day), so there goes the theory that CYA just vanishes, there must be something about our pool conditions that is depleting it. Something that is not present in my little plastic sample that has been indoors away from sun and weather for 8 months.
    -Tim-

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by BasicTek View Post
    Thanks for that link I've been looking for a deal!
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos