Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worried about my PH Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Worried about my PH Level

Ok have an algae problem and I read the post on how to take care of it. I went out and bought a whole bunch of bleach and some dry acid. I lowerd my ph to about 7.4 before adding the bleach to get it to shock level. I put 3 gallons of bleach in which is what it said would get me to a fc level of 15. I checked in 30 min and I screwed up the test. It kept saying I didn't have any chlorine in the pool so I kept adding bleach. After adding 9 gallons of bleach I realized I was forgetting to add the second set of drops for the chlorine test. Now that I am testing it right the chlorine is pretty high. (My reader only goes to an fc of 5 so I diluted it 1 part pool water 3 parts purified water and it is still darker than 5 so I know my fc is above 20) The problem is that my PH level is now above 8.2. Is this because I have put so much bleach in. Do I need to put more ph reducer in before I add any more bleach?

FC - 20+
    pH - 8.2
    TA - 140
    CYA - 40
    Our pool is 12,481 gallons
    The pump has a cartrige type filter
    It's an AG pool
    Pump is an Intex 633 2500 gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worried about my PH Level

What chlorine test are you using? Can you detail how you are doing it?

Ph reads falsely high when the chlorine is over 10ppm.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm using Leslie's Total Pool Care DPD test kit. I use 5 drop of R-001 and 5 drops of R-002 but it reads too high because my reader only goes as high as 5 for FC. That is why I diluted it with purified water. The reason I was messing up is because I kept forgetting to put the 5 drops of R-002 in the tester so I kept thinking there was no chlorine. But if you say the ph level reads falsly high when the fc is over 10 ppm then I should be ok. I will keep monitoring the fc every half hour to keep the level at shock level until the pool starts to clear. Hopefully it will start to work. This has been a real pain.
    Our pool is 12,481 gallons
    The pump has a cartrige type filter
    It's an AG pool
    Pump is an Intex 633 2500 gph

4. Back To Top    #4

16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.