New pool owner ready to learn!

Mar 1, 2018
Plano, TX
Hi there!

Wife and I recently purchased a home, that... came with a pool. When we purchased the home we knew that the pool needed some work. Namely, its a 20 year old pool. So its in need of resurfacing, and just about all of the equipment needs to be replaced.

Recently I met with a few reputable companies in the area to get bids on doing the work. After listening to them, and reading a TON on here, looks like we're going to go with the following... anyone see anything I am looking over? Ill be taking care of the pool myself, and converting it to a SWG pool. For background it has an attached spa, which spills over into the pool and I believe its about 8k gallons

- Jandy 2.7hp ePump (will be replacing older single speed pump)
- Jandy Jxi 260,000 BTU heater (current heater is disconnected/inoperable)
- iAquaLink PS4 Bundle (no automation right now)
- 35K Trueclear (is not SWG now)
- Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter
- Currently has a vacuum pump/Polaris, will be getting a robot instead
- Stonescapes mini-pebbles for the surface, new waterline tiles

Anything I should be paying attention to? Seems like the larger brands are very comparable, and it seems like the best is to just stay with the same brand. Doesn't seem one brand necessarily is 'better' than others... correct?

Some of the other things Ill be doing is reading up on the 'Pool School', and trying to figure out how to keep the water balanced and how long Ill need to run the pump every day.

Looking forward to learning more and I appreciate the help!
Scott

Welcome to TFP and good to have you here :)

If unsure about the volume, best to refine that a bit. Post a picture and let us know outside length and width, and if possible shallow end and deep end water depth. More dimensional info the better of course.

If it were me, I'd take my time and choose the automation system I like the best first, and then go with that brand for pump and SWCG. Having read more than a few threads here, I would buy a Raypak heater, but before I did that, I'd take a serious look at my needs, and then fit solar thermal into the plan and, if needed, augment with a gas heater or heat pump.

Pentair and Hayward are like Ford and GM, Jandy is like BMW entry level, except their NeverLube valves which perform like a Toyota - boring and forever. There are experts here that know the tips and traps for all three once you choose, and they'll definitely help you get great value for money. I'd say there's more active Pentair aficianados than Hayward, but not by much, and both are higher count than Jandy.

Thanks needsajet!

I believe the volume is 8k, and that's based on what the pool inspector (when purchased home) put down in his report. I can certainly verify that with some dimensions soon!

I did notice there seemed to be more Pentair folks here, and based on that I actually asked if they would install Pentair equipment. They said of course, though they preferred Jandy because Jandy had a longer warranty (based on my research it seems like this is true). So unless something is wrong I think Ill probably stick with that.

I appreciate your insight

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.