D.E Filter dripping. Keep tightening or what?

FLAK111

Gold Supporter
Jan 28, 2018
North/Texas
Just started up the filter system on my pool. I have a Hayward DE 4820. Cleaned out the filter/grids, lubed up the O-Ring, bolted back together and its dripping. slow, but still dripping.

Do I keep tightening until it stops dripping? If so, when is a good stopping point, I don't want to cause damage to the casing/screws...etc?

thoughts?

Probably need to disassemble and clean the oring and where the oring touches the filter.

Clean the clamp and where the clamp meets the filter.

Then use silicone lube, like magic lube II, on the surfaces.

Then, when tightening the clamp, tap lightly on the clamp with a rubber hammer while tightening the nut.

so, do I need to replace the DE since i'll be opening it up? so, since I just started up the system w/ 6lbs of DE in there, I'll probably leave it running, then tomorrow morning i'll open it up and the DE should be stuck more to the grids. Then clean as you mentioned and back together without the need for adding more DE?

Turn off the pump and remove the filter drain plug. Clean and reseal. Reinstall the drain plug and start the pump.

You probably won't lose too much de. So, only add as much as what comes out.

When you pull the drain plug on the filter, water and some de will come out. Not all of the de will come out. Try to estimate how much de comes out with the water and only add that much back.

F,

While I suspect James is right about having to take your filter back apart, in my mind it would be worth a shot at tightening the band a little.. I too like the idea of tapping the band and then tightening a little and tapping the band and tightening a little more, etc..

If you can post a good pic of the band clamp, we will have a better idea of how tight it is now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

it was pretty tight as I had kept tightening it to the point of being uncomfortable. I did as you suggested. Took off the cap and re-cleaned everything/lubed oring. What I did differently was, again as you suggested lol, as I was tightening the bolt, i'd stop after every few turns and bump the metal ring all around, tighten and repeat. no leaks. cheers and thank you.

Reactions: Ignoramus
F,

The key is to look at the amount of threads that are sticking out of the band clamp nut... when you clean the filter again, just make sure that you can see the same amount of threads when tight...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Ignoramus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.