VSP time and rpm?

SuperMiguel

Nov 26, 2017
Florida
So with a variable speed pump how does someone find the right values? Basically how long to run it and at what speed??

i guess i need 3 different settings, regular daily cleaning, water features (bubbler and 2 deck jets) and heating (heat pump)

For water features only me can tell what the right speed is, and the time... so forget about that one....

For the heater i read that you should start really slow and add 50/100 rpm ultil the heater goes from no flow to flow, and add 100 to do that... is this the way?

And for daily run a similar aproach as the heater just set it really slow and go up 50/100 rpm at the time until my salt system detects flow? Is this correct?? if so then what is the correct time? How long per day?

sm,

We can give you a starting point, but only you can dial it in...

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

There really is no one answer that fits everyone.

The first thing I would do is find out at what point your salt cell's flow switch/sensor turns on... So look at the flow light on your panel and adjust your pump speed up slowly until the light just comes on.. Then add 100 rpm and that will be the point where you want to run, most of the time.. For me, this is 1200 rpm, for you, I suspect it will be a little higher because you have a heater. But, only you can tell for sure.

If this were my pool, I would use the low rpm for a day, or so, and see how well the surface of the pool was skimming. If ok, I would leave it alone. If not ok, or you want better skimming, then add a faster speed for skimming. Again, each pool is different and something you will have to play with to determine. I would suggest 1800 or so... to start.

For anyone with a SWCG, the pump run time is really determined by how long you need to run your pump to generate the amount of chlorine (FC) you need on a daily basis. Guess who has to figure that out?? That would be you again... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

sm,

Wow... 650 rpm is the lowest I have ever heard of???? One of our pump experts says that running a VS pump at less than about 1000 rpm is less efficient... Not sure that is the case for you or not..

In any case, it just gives you another speed to plug into your pump... One speed to generate chlorine, one speed when running the heater, maybe one speed to skim well...

The whole point of having a VS pump is so that you can program it to run the speed you want, when you want..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.