Test a pump start relay

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
In case anyone has experience with this...

Unrelated to the pool -- but, still aquatic related. :)

Our sprinkler systems -- Hunter XC controller give "P err", which indicates wiring issues or bad pump start relay.

This has been running for years -- so, it's probably the relay. However, I'm not sure how to test the relay. I manually run it -- but, this seems like a "it works or doesn't" part.

Is there any way to test it?

Well it's easy to test any relay with a multi meter and a little searching. Pull the relay out and look up the numbers on it to get an idea on how it works, they are often labeled on then too. That relay is probably NO or normally open so the switch side should be open when off and closed when on. If it's a typical relay you can bang it around a bit to break the buildup on the contacts and get it working again.

dab,

If you can run the pump manually, then I would have to assume the relay is good, how else would the pump turn on???

Your sprinkler control system most likely measures the relay's coil resistance and if the coil is open or has a very high resistance, then it displays the P error. Applying voltage to the coil of a relay is what turns it on or off. Since the pump works in manual, I would have to say the coil is not open..

I would suspect the problem is with the wiring.. If there are any connections between the pump and your controller, they are probably corroded causing the resistance to increase and causing the error. I also notice that the same error is for "Master Valve" wiring issues, where corrosion can cause the same problem.

Good luck with the hunt..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.