Spa circ pump ran dry due to leak, now it's groaning. Is it pooched?

Apr 27, 2012
Delta B.C. Canada
Over the past weeks (it's winter so I wasn't checking) the tub sprang a slow leak. As a result the circulation pump ran dry. It still works but now instead of purring quietly it's howling. Has been for a couple of days at least. Am I hooped? Should I shut it off? Is the motor doomed?

My maintenance guy charges me $100 to ring my doorbell so I'm reluctant to call him in if I can fix it myself.

Pacific Spa (local firm) hot tub. 2 jet pump motors and one circ pump.

Difficulty: Spa repair newbie, although I have done some tinkering with our inground pool systems.

Any thoughts?

What make model circ pump?

Sorry for the delay but life broke out yesterday,
Anyway it's a Waterway pump.
IMG_1359.jpg

The more I investigate the more it appears that the bearing is the source of the noise. I'm thinking I'll shut off the circ pump and the heater. The complicating factor is that the topside display has also failed over the winter so I can't check any status indicators.

Probably a bad shaft seal caused water to get to the bearings.

You can try a new seal and bearings or a new motor or a new pump.

The bearings can be difficult to replace. So, you have to factor in the time and effort involved.

Maybe run the pump to a local motor shop and let them do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.