Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: main drain connected to skimmer line.... normal ?

1. Back To Top    #1

main drain connected to skimmer line.... normal ?

my pool is being built. The plumbing plan does not have separate main drain and skimmer pipes to the pump, instead the main drain is connected to the skimmer and the skimmer line runs to the pump.

Is this normal ?

The skimmer is a hayward skim master.
    https://hayward-pool-assets.com/asse...f?fromCDN=true

There a separate vac suction line that runs to the pump (not connected to the skimmer).

Thx!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: main drain connected to skimmer line.... normal ?

Hello and welcome to TFP! Yes, very common. Many skimmers come from the factory that way, and depending on the pool set-up and installer, they will use both holes in the bottom of the skimmer for plumbing. Some pools have that skimmer but don't have a drain so they close it off underneath. You might find a saucer-shaped item in the bottom of the skimmer once it's all done (diverter) designed to help you adjust the suction flow between the skimmer and main drain. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

i found this article: http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6327
    i guess it is not uncommon then.

will be interested still to hear if others have opinion on pro/con of this setup vs. separate lines to jandy valve then to pump. thx!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Texas Splash for your quick reply! makes me feel much more at ease. I was worried because most pictures/videos of other pools seem to have separate lines.
    =)

- - - Updated - - -

Reading this old post has been helpful too:
    Main drain question

5. Back To Top    #5

Glad to help. Post back anytime you have a question about your new pool. Lots of eyes in the forum ready to help. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

eyo,

Having the Main Drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer was how they built pools in 1960... Any pool builder that still does this has been dead for several years..

I would tell the pool builder you want the main drain run to the equipment with a Jandy that allows you to control the flow between your skimmer(s) and the main drain.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.