Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae and Pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and Pollen

Winter is over here in Louisiana so I am going to start tending back to my pool again. The thing is, I had algae and was going to treat it. But then we had a pollen bloom and my pool is now covered in pollen. I am not sure how to get rid of both. Do I start testing water and bringing everything to normal levels? Or do I wait until pollen stops falling? Iím kind of at a loss of what to do. Iíve added 2 gallons of bleach and just canít seem to get any of the algae to go.

10K gal, AG w/ vinyl liner and Aquabot Cleaning robot. Sand filter. Using Taylor K-2006C Test Kit. Built Summer 2016. Live in South Louisiana.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae and Pollen

Here are the basic procedures: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

If the pollen is floating it should work its way into your skimmer (assuming you have one). This might be a good time to add a hair net to the skimmer basket. I use these from amazon. Keep an eye on the skimmer and filter as they may clog quickly and starve your pump of water.

For the algae you will need to SLAM the pool. Good luck!
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

When you have algae, don't wait. Start a TFP SLAM right away (link below). The pollen is annoying and if left unattended could complicate matters, but don't let that stop you. SLAM now. As for the pollen, a combination of good water movement, filtration, and a skimmer sock is always a good start to capture that stuff as soon as it hits the water. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I started a SLAM about 4 days ago. Brought my FC up to 24.5. Been vaccing every day for 3 days and still have algae on the bottom and also the little green bubbles after vaccing.

I've backflushed several times. I'll post chem values here in a couple hours. Just vacced AGAIN and letting things circ for awhile before I test. Last I checked, CYA=60 and pH was 7.4.

I do have lots of plant material falling into the pool from the mango and oak tree. Both are budding right now. Been skimming several times a day and running the filter 24/7 for a few days.
    14,000 gallon vinyl Intex 32'x16'x52" above ground SWG system in Miami
    Installed 10/2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok great. Thank you everyone for the input. I did not shut my pool down for the winter. I ran the filter quite often but did not add any chemicals. It has not been green until it started getting warmer out. Will start with a slam.. I do have the stockings in my skimmer though.

10K gal, AG w/ vinyl liner and Aquabot Cleaning robot. Sand filter. Using Taylor K-2006C Test Kit. Built Summer 2016. Live in South Louisiana.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by AftonJeeper View Post
    Here are the basic procedures: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

If the pollen is floating it should work its way into your skimmer (assuming you have one). This might be a good time to add a hair net to the skimmer basket. I use these from amazon. Keep an eye on the skimmer and filter as they may clog quickly and starve your pump of water.

For the algae you will need to SLAM the pool. Good luck!
    Hi! How do you put this hairnet on your skimmer? Just over the basket?
    40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. On the POOL side.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

8. Back To Top    #8

I will try it. Thanks.
    40,400 inground gunnite, max depth 10-ft with 1.5 hp single speed Pentair, DE filter, well water, only one skimmer working, TAYLOR TK-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, Chester County, PA--OLD pool, but a beauty.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a leaf net to skim the surface with? If the pollen is floating on the water you can line the leaf net with some polyfill pillow stuffing to help capture the pollen. Only down side is you have to skim very, very slowly which can get tiring.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates