Complete pool equipment replacement

Jul 21, 2008
Cape Coral, FL
HEY folks need some advice from you guys. Moved from AZ to Florida last year and bought a used house, a very used house. After having to unexpectedly replace all of the appliances we are finally ready to tackle the pool. It has been running but poorly. Single speed 1 1/2 HP Hayward pump, a leaking CX1200RE cartridge filter, Pentair single color light powered by a rusted through massive transformer box, Intermatic timer, and an Aquatherm Heat Pump that has recently blown a PCB. I want to rip it all out and put in mid grade stuff because we might end up selling the house and building new.
I have picked out the following equipment and want to know if I am somewhat on track or way off base.
Hayward: SP15932S PowerFlow Matrix 2 speed 115V 1.5HP 297.49
CX1200RE filter 379.99
Prologic Controller 685.44
Salt Cell T9 369.99
HP21004T Heat Pump 2599.99
Pentair: Intellibrite multicolor light 500.00

Pool is approximately 13000 gallons with a tiny water fall 2 foot tall by 2 foot wide and it has air jets around the pool above the bench seats in the pool. These are variable flow and can be adjusted on or off.

ANNNND if this wasn't enough...lol we also have a huge separate water feature with a second pump and pool filter. I'll create a different thread for that one because I think it is plumbed wrong and that will be the next project. Only reaon why I mention it is because i want to also control that pump with the pool controller. This pump will be a single speed no frills as when turned on it just needs to flow. Also this feature may also have fish in it if we can make that work.

Let me know what other info you guys may need.
Thanks in advance.

This is an IG pool correct? The PowerFlo Matrix is an AG pump and does not self-prime.

CX1200RE is a replacement cartridge not a filter. Are you thinking about the C4030?

Yes it is an IG pool, thanks for pointing that out.
Here is what we have currently for a filter Assy. Hayward Star Clear Plus 120 Sq Ft. Filter 2 Ports - C12002 - INYOPools.com
Good news is I was able to buy a retro fit kit for the current heater and have replaced the heater control board and display and it works just fine now.
Our short term goal is to install a 2 speed pump and replace the leaking filter Assy.
We can install a salt system and decide if we want automation later if we can get the 2 speed pump to work properly without it.
It seems the more I research the more confused I get.

I'd hold off on the heat pump if I was going to sell, but I'm frugal/tight/cheap, lol. If selling right away, I doubt you'd get the value back, I would just make the pool beautiful. If I needed one season of longer warmer swimming, I'd get a cover and wrestle with it for 5 or 6 weeks this spring.

If the pump is above the waterline, definitely get a self-priming pump.

If you want to, you can get away with a minimum spec filter because of the two-speed pump, just ensure it will handle the flow on full speed. A sand filter is an option and many people see less effort. Definitely easier if you have a green pool to clean up. You can get a good quality robot to do the finest dust, and take the robot with you if you sell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.