New pool - tolerances from design

mg9176

Nov 1, 2017
Ballwin, MO
I’ve been trolling a while, and have a question on tolerances from design to actual build on a shotcrete pool.

we are building a 36x24 shotcrete diving pool. At the 48” mark the pool depth varies from 49.5 to 52”. Is this acceptable? I’m currently draining the pool to check the 8’ mark.

thanks in advance,

Mike
5583BB67-CB5E-45C3-A119-0A2CE2BC4143.jpgBAF31902-8FAD-46B3-97F9-B0757450B420.jpg

mg,

Welcome to TFP... a great place for those with OCD to find the answers to all there new pool questions... :shark:

As a general rule, gunite or shotcrete shells are never perfectly flat. Some of this gets taken out when the plaster is applied, but a couple of inches of difference would seem perfectly normal to me.

I believe that the most important thing to look for would be a level bond beam...

Let's see what some of our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

At the roughly the 5' depth point of our pool (halfway lengthwise) one side is 6" deeper than the other. That's more than I would expect, though it was/is of zero concern to me. It is also 2" longer and 1/2" skinnier than the plan. Both well within MY expected tolerances. In hindsight, I could see the stone base sloped from one side the other in the middle of the pool before it was shot. The deep and and shallow end are level side to side.

I feel your variances are within a normal/acceptable range. There was a build a few years ago where the L and W dimensions of the pool were well off from the drawing, but much more than what you are seeing.

I am not measuring my shell for these reasons. I measured after the dig and rebar and allowed for the concrete and plaster ect. It was pretty spot on. I have a feeling we may have lost a couple of inches at our deep end but it's still more than plenty deep for us. We are overall extremely happy with the shell so I'm not going to drive myself nuts now over a couple of inches. To me a well built pool outweighs one to absolute exact measurements. Being a handmade structure with lots of variables, I think it coming as close as they do is a work of art in itself.

OCD and ADHD, both my wife and I! God help our children.

Thank you for the responses thus far.

What worries me is I checked the rebar and it was spot on, so the 52" spot only has about 2" of shotcrete on it, a total depth of 8". Is this a concern?

Thanks again,

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

oh - I checked the top of the shell - variance is less than 1/32 of an inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.