hahiii

Feb 24, 2018
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all! Trying to get my pool ready for spring and summer. We had a pool at our previous house and just built one at our new home. Just want to ensure I get off to a good start.

Welcome to TFP!

A good start is joining this forum! The next thing to do is get a proper test kit. With a new pool managing the water chemistry right from the start will make your summer enjoyable and far more economic.

Ask your questions in the proper sub-forums.

Take care.

Fellow Houstonian here. New pool just finished in December. Buy the TF-100 kit now, start testing before the summer gets here. It takes a few trues but you quickly get used to it. Since the pool has been finished, I've only ever had to purchase the following for maintenance:
- Muriatic Acid to lower pH due to new plaster
- HEB Chlorine to raise Free Chlorine (FC) levels when the water was too cold for the SWGC. This will probably go away since the water temp is rising now.

I've had to buy Cyanuric Acid and calcium chloride as part of my start up process (and salt of course), but I haven't had to get more since the start up.

I am a believe of TFP for sure.

Welcome to the TFP forum! :wave: Like above, I can't say enough good things about the TF-100 test kit (link below). Great value and will last a good while. I would also suggest getting the magnetic speedstir. It's not a gimmick. That simple item makes mixing the solutions soooooo much easier. You'll thank us. Also, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool details and equipment so that everyone posting can better serve you. Take a look at all of ours as an example.

Remember with a new pool (if it's plaster), pH typically shoots-up quickly, so you'll always want some muriatic acid available to keep the pH in the mid 7s. If you manually chlorinate (no SWG), then HEB's regular Bravo or Wal-Mart's Great Value bleaches work very well. Congrats on the new pool, and have a great weekend.