Recommendations for pool renovation in Maryland?

Reebee

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Columbia, MD
Hello! I've postponed this as long as I could and it is time for me to bite the bullet and have my 30ish year-old Anthony pool renovated (not sure of exact age, it was there when I bought the house 14 years ago). Last fall I got a couple of bids, but as decision time nears I'm realizing I have no idea if these companies are qualified or not to do the job, I want to make sure I only have to do this once!

It's a very basic renovation, trying to keep it in the $15-$20K area, so basically no frills.

• Remove and replace coping
  • Remove and replace time at waterline and trim tile on pool steps & bench
  • Remove and replace perimeter caulk
  • Replaster pool surface

I've gotten quotes from Anthony/Sylan, Millennium Pools, Atlantic Pools, and Pools Unlimited. I have read not so great reviews of Anthony/Sylvan, so I will cut them out of the running immediately. Millennium has done openings/closings for me, but I have no idea if they are qualified to do a renovation. And I have no experience with the other two.

Are there others that I should contact that are well-recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Maria
Howard County

The best thing to do is to ask for their last 5 builds last year and a few builds from 5 yrs ago. THEN call or go by and see the pools and ask the owners "Would you hire them to do work for you again?" and go from there.

Kim:kim:

Surprised you had that many pool companies give you bids. I’ve called 7 companies and only one came out and gave me a bid. Business must be great.
I called 8, only one came out and I held him hostage :whip:

Where I am at, PB's are booked solid year round. Majority of them focus on new build only. A $20k reno is not likely to attract small time pool contractors either.

Thanks for the replies, I had 2 more come out yesterday, Elite & Watermark. I've seen several recommendations for Elite on this board (but I have a feeling they are going to be pricey based on the ballpark numbers he mentioned), I haven't seen anything for Watermark but they have a lot of good Angie's List reviews for whatever that's worth - so if I like their quote I will definitely ask for references from their last 5 jobs. Are there other things I need to ask about such as licenses, insurance, bonding, etc?

Here in MD where it snowed last week I'm sure there isn't nearly as much demand for PBs as you would have in CA or FL, so still hoping to get this done by June (although may not make Memorial Day at this point).

Thanks!
Maria

ETA - Any recommendations on best place to order a replacement Loop-Loc cover? I got the original order # from Loop-Loc, but have to get a dealer to price it, don't know how much dealers mark these up, but if there is a great source I'd love to start there! Obviously not urgent, won't need it for 6 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.